A great 80s day

Post all your classic car finds here. Have a cell phone handy. Pics please.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

A great 80s day

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:18 am

It was an unusual day for SoCal, the most unfriendly place towards old cars. Not only did I find and tag that nice brown Caravelle K, but I saw driving around:

My first Chevy Vega 2dr Wagon ever found. A white restored Kammaback 2dr Wagon driving.
Three 80s Chevy Caprices, one a pre85.
A rusty beat up 80s Pontiac 6000 Safari Wagon
A white 70s Ford Maverick Coupe driving in pouring rain
A white 80s Cadillac Fleetwood car driving in pouring rain

Hhm, maybe the bad economy might keep some 80s around for a time. I wonder if the bad economy is in favor of old car survival or will
they be traded in for cans of beans. 8)

This does not include the restored white Chevy Chevette 4dr Hatch I saw driving and three times this week on the same freeway
I saw a small family using a nice Green 1984-1987 Chevy Cavalier Sedan as daily transportation. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: A great 80s day

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:20 am

Oh yeah, last week, I saw a checkered Caprice with multicolored fenders, an 85, driving on the freeway. Had been through major accidents
and lived to see another day on the road. Also have been running into a couple 80s Crown Vics.
89ARIES

Postby nszotovich » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Palm Springs is not a town for old cars on the road on a daily basis. It is a small town after all. The sheer volume of cars squeezing through L.A. everyday affords you the opportunity see alot more sightings. It is one of the things I miss.
Here what we have are closet classics. People like me who have there little hoard that you bring out once or twice a week and cruise. The K-car members I have tried to communicate with have not responded. It's frustrating. Thank God there is this forum.

I did see a beat up New Yorker yesterday and a beautiful 84 T&C convertible going in the opposite direction. I have seen three of them in my travels, all white.
Mostly the old cars I see here are 80's Cadillacs, Lincolns and Crown Vics.

This Fall Fling should prove to be an old car junkie's overdose. I can't wait.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby nszotovich » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:03 am

On my morning walk today I saw a few old cars go by:

1968 Ford LTD conv. in preserved but not great condition
1990 Le Baron Sedan
1980s Olds 88 Sedan
A restored 1955 Tunderbird

An impressive find for 7:30 AM in Palm Springs.
nszotovich

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Very nice. Coming home on the freeway last night, a nice white 1986 Chrysler LeBaron 2dr Sedan went by. But, because of my K-dar, I think its probably the one I have seen on Vanowen St. I only saw two white 86 LeBaron 2dr Sedans this year alone. I know where the first one lives. 8)
89ARIES

Postby nszotovich » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:18 pm

This mornings walk I saw an E-based New Yorker (driven by an elderly couple) in very good shape. My next door neighbors have white early ninties Imperial. The last of the K- derived bodies. Around the block a neighbors have a 66 Dodge Charger (that I have wanted since new). And a school kid driving a 84 Fox based Mustang.

This is the kind of excersize I like.
nszotovich

Postby 82Lebaronconv » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:19 am

I had a great 80s day myself this afternoon.

About 5:30 PM I was heading home from work and was eastbound on I84 in the downtown Hartford (Connecticut) area A head of me, I spotted a mint white 1985 Buick Skylark 4 door sedan being driven by a young couple. I pulled alongside it and noticed that it had a blue velour interior. Very nice combination. This car was really in beautiful shape, with very shiny paint and no sign of any rust or dents. I wonder if they might have inherited it from an elderly relative. It sure looked the part of a little old lady car. Another thing that caught my attention was the old chrome dealer emblem on the left side of the trunk lid - Pierce Buick, Hartford, Connecticut. That dealership shut down years ago. I love old dealership memorabilia.

A short time later, I merged onto I-91 South and spotted a yellow 1985-89 Dodge Aries SE 4 door, a beautiful light yellow with a tan interior. I just love that light yellow and would really like to find a Lebaron convertible in that color. I'm not sure what year it was, but it said Aries SE on the trunk lid. The driver was a young man in a hoodie sweatshirt. I waved to him. I wonder if he realizes he is driving a collector car.

Around 6:00 PM, I arrived at the town library in Rocky Hill to pick up my daughter and spotted a light brown 4 door 1980 Buick Century in the parking lot. This is car has obviously been well cared for in its life and it still looks almost new. I've seen this car there a few times before and always assumed that some little old lady owned it. So I was sure surprised when the owner came out of the library and she was a very attractive young woman with a long ponytail. I hope she appreciates the history of this car and how rare cars of this vintage are today.

Amazing to see three mint 80's cars on the road in such a short time, especially with such young owners.
82Lebaronconv
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:59 am

These threads really make ya feel good. Still hope for the 80s. Seeing that green 80s Cavalier with a family in it on the freeway a few times a week as I drive along side them with my Aries. For all my complaining about K-cars being obliterated in California, we do have other types of models that can't be found anywhere else. 8)
89ARIES

Postby Baron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:31 am

Saw a white 4 door LeBaron sedan today as I was getting ready to turn down the road to my house. The traffic light was against me, though, so I wasn't able to chase it down/check it out. I think it was one of the earlier ones, but not sure from the brief glimpse I got. It looked to be in very good condition, however.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:51 am

I virtually never see earlier ones anymore, except for the rough black 85 near my military base that has laundry in it. :lol: I did see 7 86-88 LeBaron Sedans driving this year. Some in good shape. The miracle was the day in Orange County this year when I saw two driving at once within blocks of each other. 8)
89ARIES

Next

Return to Classic K-Car/other car spottings.