Great Sunday car drive. 200 miles today.

Post all your classic car finds here. Have a cell phone handy. Pics please.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Great Sunday car drive. 200 miles today.

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:17 am

What a great day. Started out by going to a 6:45 AM Mass. Then, I went to the old Fiddlers Restaurant where I chatted with the waitress that remembered
me as an infant tossing crackers in the same place almost 30 years ago. I then drove 30 miles to the heart of Los Angeles to test drive this car:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ct ... 12395.html

My camera died immediately and I barely got the pics. Will upload tommorrow. See for sale section.

Then proceeded back up to Sylmar to pick up my brother to head out with him and family to Ventura and Santa Paula Airport Air Museum.

Ran into some old cars so rare that they were first finds for me.

Went to Santa Paula Air Museum where they flew a 1920s aircraft for us on the private flight line and the museum is housed in original rusty hangers
from 1930, still intact. Talked to 4 men in their 80s who were docents from the Korea and WWII Wars and they drove my family and I onto the
fight line where the planes took off and buzzed over our heads. There were also shops with a dozen or so WWII and 50s-70s automobiles being
restored and worked on. Very rare that a place like this was still recognizable from the 30s.

Then drove backroads from Santa Paula thru Ventura, and by a miracle, two K-cars surfaced at once. One passed me going the other way, a white
86-89 Aries Sedan. 5 minutes later, as I sat down in Pizza Hut to share a pizza with my brother, a multicolored brown hooded blue fendered 1986-1988
Dodge 600 Sedan with red ducktape lights blew by. On the way home, in a thunderstorm, was partly blinded by the first 70s Chrysler Newport I ever saw
going the opposite direction. Here is the list of favorite and notable finds:

Saw two 1980s Chevy Caprice Stationwagons driving.
An immaculate 1977 Lincoln Mark IV Coupe making a turn
Found two darelict 70s era Coronet and Polara cars sitting at two homes in Santa Paula.
Checked up and found the white Aries Sedan is still parked in Santa Paula.
The two K-cars mentioned above.
That beat-up Lincoln towncar on the freeway.
Saw a red and white pinstripe 80s Chrysler Fifth Avenue parked in Los Angeles.
Found a stash of Mopars in Ventura, one of which might be a 70s Royal Monaco.
That 1987 Chevy Cavalier Wagon is back at the Ventura Mission.
Saw TWO 67 Mercury Cougar Coupes driving.
1980 Honda Civic Coupe driving.
A couple 80s Toyotas
Two 1988-1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Sedans (these I almost never see)
My FIRST 1969 Ford Galaxie 500 Stationwagon driving alongside me.
An 80s Buick Regal Coupe.

A lot of this was from deliberately driving through poor neigborhoods. I find I now have to drive to dangerous parts of LA
and poor sections to find these cars. They no longer exist in the middle class sections. They are not "old cars". They are rare
collectibles, of which most needed substantial care to be made new again. But, it was a fun car find day. Better than most. 8) 8)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Great Sunday car drive. 200 miles today.

Postby nszotovich » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Wow!, what a day. That 85 coupe looks great.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:38 am

Wow...it must be nice to afford to drive 200 miles and eat out at 2 different restaurants all in 1 day! :lol:

I bearly can afford to drive 11 miles to work and I have a can of soup and crackers for lunch everyday......70 cents. :mrgreen:

What can I say....I'm "cheap"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I do try and keep my cars maintenanced with the savings incurred.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby 89ARIES » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:49 am

Jack, thats a good thing, better than living beyond your means. Also, here in SoCal, being stuff is so much rarer than in Kentucky because of our anti 1980s cars schemes, something often appears 50 miles away. But more often than not, my social life and military training ends up taking me on typical 120-250 miles roundtrip weekends. Los Angeles Metro area literally stretches roughly 50-90 miles in all directions. 8)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Classic K-Car/other car spottings.