Saw some cars I had never found before.

Post all your classic car finds here. Have a cell phone handy. Pics please.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Saw some cars I had never found before.

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Parked, a fully functioning and California original and passed smog: 1976-1978 Chrysler Newport 4dr Sedan! I was so surprised. This makes the 2nd one I found besides
the Newport corpse in someone's front yard. This car is highly protected and cherished as their is a lock on the steering wheel. The paint is faded and the vinyl starting to shred, but the car has no dents and has basically been driven and outside for more than 30 years! No visible rust. Awesome car.

In the CoParts lot in Van Nuys up for auction right now, and will likely be destroyed, is an original 1978 Chevy Monza LS 2dr Stationwagon. Never saw one before in my life.

I went to CoParts to try to rescue the 1988 Dodge Aries Sedan in Van Nuys that used to be used by ATT Phone company employees as recently as 2000. I used my CoPart membership to actually get into the lot, open the driver's door which was unlocked, slip 3 fliers onto the dash, and close it. Of course, looking over my shoulder to make sure no one was looking. People at these yards have become paranoid and now beef up security at the junkyards likes its a maximum security installation. If the car had been locked, I would have been tempted to unlock it with my own key, but I wouldn't have done it as it would have been breaking and entering. There were also cameras. Most of the cars there were oddly enough modern ones after 2000 and accident victims. There was also a 60s convertibles and gutted 70s Monte Carlo. Today was viewing day at the lot before the K-car goes up for auction tommorrow. Only one bid at $200 so far. If not sold, car will be sold to pic a part, so I had a blaring flier begging pic a part to try to sell the car before crushing it. Also, no one was shopping there except me. I had to wait three weeks before I could get in. 8)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Saw some cars I had never found before.

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:10 am

That Monza wagon is a Vega with a Monza nose cap.
Of course with Iron Duke engine,and not Vega 2300 aluminum scrap.
They also carried over Vega hatches for 1978,to use up the extra sheetmetal they had laying around.After a few thousand of those,they dropped that bodystyle.
Wagons lasted another year.
GM never gave up pushing stuff,even after a model went away.
Vega seats wound up back in Camaros along with that torque arm rear axle mount.
Vega GT steering wheels wound up in 9C1 Novas and Malibus.
88AriesLEwagon

Return to Classic K-Car/other car spottings.