Is This A Ghost Town?

Go here for Suggestions and Comments regarding the Website and Forum. For car discussion, use topics below.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Do you want this to be a more active group?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
I don't care
No votes
I'm new here... Hiiiiiiiiiiii :D
No votes
I don't like new members because they do that annoying stuff above. Hmph!
No votes

Total votes : 2

Is This A Ghost Town?

Postby The Upcoming Classic » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:24 am

I just happened to come across this page when google searching about my 1982 Chrysler Lebaron, a show car by the way, and it seems that this site is completely abandoned. It appears nothing goes on here. I searched through the few upcoming events pages, there should only be one by the way, and it seems nothing has gone on since 2014. The actual website and social media pages look abandoned as well. I'm confused... :? Is anything going on here :?: When are the next car shows? Is absolutely everything in California? Are there things going on out east? A New York Tour even? Why is this website so cluttered? Is the group now listed as a non-profit organization or no? WHAT IS GOING ON!? HELP! I don't wish to make enemies but what is going on? :? :cry:

If any of you need help with social media, please, PLEASE, let me know because clearly what is going on isn't working. I also am a YouTube guru :ugeek: so if any videos need done and uploaded let me know. I'd hate to see a group of such passionate and caring individuals fail. :(

email me at [url]colt19871@gmail.com[/url]

Also we could create a Lebaron page on Fuelly, an awesome mpg/mileage tracker so that everyone can compare gas mileage and see how far you've driven it. You can also use it as a signature on your comments! Here's a link
http://www.fuelly.com
Image Why not?
The Upcoming Classic

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Medallion Mark Cross

Re: Is This A Ghost Town?

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:33 pm

Thankyou for your concern. No, it is not quite a ghost town, but it is becoming that way, because most of our "member" are only K-Car owners. They are unwilling to pay dues, go to car shows, and Facebook nearly killed this board three years ago. I still manage to get new members every day through internet social media, and California still has the only K-car shows in the world, because I do everything. I have been doing everything in this one horse shoe organization for 8 years and very few here really appreciate it.
I do need help. We did have a record show of 24 Ks last Spring. I do log people into this site through this page manually, and some still join on their own.

Sincerely,
Guy V.Coulombe
The Chrysler K-Car Club
CKCC President
818-219-2587
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Kwagon2 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi
I hate to say this but the car club route is not an easy one trust me, been there, done that ...but its not a bad route, once the cars catch on! You seem to have a "core" of folks that are genuine enthusiasts interested in preserving the cars for posterity, judging by the pictures etc. You just gotta kick 'em in the butt once in a while ...the cars become part of your social life and the common thread of the car ties everybody together...not everyone gets this. You have to get those cars out there so people see them and the idea of "safety in numbers" becoming a collector car world voice is important! Once you consider all the s**t going on in California "group" protection becomes vital. Up here in the last two years the local "blanket" organization for all the clubs in this Province has organized a "Collector car appreciation day " and this has helped the car culture to become more visible. I would say tie this group to the AACA (the Antique Auto Club of America) get all the folks together that you can and hold regular face to face meetings...pick someones house etc. keep the spirit going this should help to legitimize the idea (even in your club members minds) that the K car and its derivatives deserve their place in the collector car world!!
Day before yesterday I had a fellow drop by for some advice on his fifties Chrysler and he spotted my two K's and commented on what I was doing with a couple of K's ...I told him that I'm restoring them , I asked him when was the last time you saw one? He agreed that it was a long time ...we discussed the origins of the car its history etc. We discussed the meteroric rise of the car and its sudden and almost complete extinction up here ... It was funny as here we are we've both been in the car hobby for years and I had him at the same conclusion that I had come to prior to the start of my K car rescue mission, this car is significant in many ways and deserves its place in history with the necessity that physical examples must survive! The main difference is the survival rate... the mechanism for the removal of cars is more effective than its ever been and the "inventory" required for collection is fading ...FAST ...cars do not linger in wrecking yards or backyards for years as they used to and eighties cars as a rule are still not really viewed as "collectable" but they are...even some prominent collector publications have finally come to the realization that K's along with some other eighties cars are indeed "collectable" its groups like this that need to promote this...and the fact that it can be fun and mentally stimulating! I'll close this with a line from the 1963 Dodge Custom 880 film presentation to sales people ...make it visible fellas...as once they see it they'll but it! BTW this is an extremely well done website!!!
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby 89ARIES » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:46 am

If anybody is reading this....my alarmist emails are catching on, exaggerated or not, about the near extinction of the California Chrysler K-Car. California is the most anti Chrysler state
in the United States. We have more old 1970s-1980s Ford LTDs, Crown Vics, Lincolns, GMs, and Caddys than any other states. The only old Chrysler we have our Fifth Avenues, cause they are like Caddys.
The K-cars left here are almost all convertibles, the owners willingly killed all the early sedans except for that rare Reliant or Aries, and that now is changing to become zero left. In short, we have an emergency
for our club, that has forced me to post my own craigslist ads, and target every California seller on the planet, as most our indifferent, or just jerks. Half of classic K-car owners here are stupid, because they send their K-cars straight to the junkyard without even posting them for sale. Some are assholes, because we put a nice frame on their car and spend our valuable time to help them, and then they pressure us to buy their car NOW, or we junk it tommorrow! We are losing our last 600 coupe shortly because no one here is interested in saving it for $900, and the owner wants to crush it for money. It passed California Nazi emissions with flying colors because the engine is brand new. We CAN'T survive without the generosity of people that appreciate our free services, and the hours of manpower it takes to find and save a car, save up for a car, or find some barter or flipping method to save a car from the crusher. California pays people to destroy classics, and Ralph, myself, and a few others are now buying that 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th car strictly for resale, as we know the market here sucks as no one wants these cars. It is really, really sad. I now no longer see K-cars on the road on even a monthly basis anymore. So, all this hard work is a struggle for survival. I think as people run out of parts, or even cars to find, and some are already complaining they can't find that K-car they want, they will get their act together, and hopefully less owners will be deadbeats.

Want a E-Class? Sorry, haven't seen one on craigslist since 2014.

Want a 1983 Dodge 400 Sedan? Sorry, the jerk in Burbank, California crushed it five years ago when we tried to buy it. Go to Alabama, there is one up on blocks in the woods.

If had lived in Seattle, the club headquarters would be having at least 40-50 K-cars at the national show. We were so lucky to have 24 at the last one in Los Angeles as the worldwide record.
Seattle just sold an 82 LeBaron Sedan for $5000.

Also, many 1975-1983 Mopars in California no longer exist. The 1981 Dodge Diplomat Sedan is now extinct here.
89ARIES

Postby The Upcoming Classic » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:47 pm

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by Facebook nearly killed this page, but I feel that social media should be your friend. You want to get the word out that this car exists! That it should not be junked because it's old. Sure it will never have the pedigree of other classics but it should still be considered a classic car. I feel a large part of the problem is that the people who junk them are mostly people in their 40s-50s and saw the car when it was introduced, saw it become a clunker, and saw it disappear. And they probably felt it was a good thing too thinking it was helping the look of someone's driveway and their entire town, not realizing the cars "true" value. Now it's up to my generation to realize this car exists and save it from it's ultimate demise. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other forms of social media should be your friend letting other people know what's going on, and when you have shows you can use it as a constant stream of photos to help other people see. "Hey here's what's going on, we need you and your car, it's a lot of fun and you can help spread the word of tis car just by sharing!" Also, what if you tried expanding? Like choosing a representative or another part of the U.S.? Do you foresee that in the future?
Image Why not?
The Upcoming Classic

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Medallion Mark Cross

Postby seattle smitty » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:50 pm

If there are restored, rodded, and otherwise cherried-out K-cars in the future for the historically-minded car guys to study and enjoy, Guy Coulombe's name ought to come up to the top of the list of those who deserve credit. Guy has done his best to maintain peoples enthusiasm for these historically-important yet increasingly forgotten orphans against the reality of an inexorable slow decline in interest. I have never owned a K-car, but became aware of the site because Guy, who seems to have a soft spot in his heart (or is the soft spot in your head, Guy??!!) for orphan cars, paid us a visit at our now-defunct Dodge/Plymouth Colt Vista website to offer us some encouragement. So I occasionally come here to return the favor. Colt Vistas have nearly disappeared; let's hope that you guys can keep a little torch burning for the K-car. Good luck!!
seattle smitty

Car Information: '87 Dodge Colt Vista

Postby Kwagon2 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks we'll need it....I stop in here every now and then to see if there's a new post ....not much lately but I'll keep plugging.
Take Care!
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby marty mopar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:52 am

As a Mopar parts seller the 82-86 convertibles (especially the turbo ones) command some interest but the other body styles not very much.

I do post here when I see someone looking for parts. I still have a good inventory for all body styles just not that much interest for most of it.

www.arizonaparts.com

Martin
marty mopar
Car Fan

Car Information: 1992 Daytona IROC R/T

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:20 am

Do you have a wooden bezel trim for the gauges for a 1982 Chrysler LeBaron? I need one.
89ARIES

Return to Suggestions and Comments