K-Car Sag

Go here for Suggestions and Comments regarding the Website and Forum. For car discussion, use topics below.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

K-Car Sag

Postby njr600 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:14 pm

I notice that most of the K-Cars have the sag in the back, where its like the back end is going down lol. I like the little sag but seems like when people get in my car it goes down and its to the point where i can hear the back tires rubbing up against something. Maybe the fenderwells. Do i need to get new shocks or have it raised up a lilttle to stop this from happening when people are back there. Its fits 2 in the back but its tight lol. When i have one person in the back it does not make the noise. Sounds like the tires are rubbing something. Hear every now and then when the car is loaded in the back. With one person it does not make the noise but still sags though. Does anyone else experience this issue??
njr600

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 2.2 Turbo

Re: K-Car Sag

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:43 pm

Most K-cars have worn out rear springs by now. Replacements are still readily available. I replaced the ones in my Wagon a few years ago with variable rate ones by Moog. Not quite sure what is rubbing when your car is fully loaded. Look underneath and see if you can find an area that is being scrapped. Sometimes a shock hits a tailpipe that is not properly aligned. Regular new shocks will not lift up your car but just damp the oscillation when it starts bouncing. The high end Chryslers in the cars following the K-cars had air adjustable shocks which could change car height in response to a detected change in load.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:28 am

There is a brown New Yorker near my office that sags very low in the back. It is original with a faded hood. And that TC Wagon that drives around near here also sags. Mine doesn't. :D
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby njr600 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Yeah its probably time to get my rear springs replaced. They may be the original ones on the car who knows lol. I have to look more into that why its rubbing up againgst something. Gonna have two people get in the back and see where it could be rubbing against. Could be the shock hitting the tailpipe like K-Car_Wagon had mentioned. Well thanks for the advice!! Will keep you posted on my findings :D
njr600

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 2.2 Turbo

Postby capev86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:52 am

i put cargo coils on my 86 aries wagon years ago. looked good at first, but then the springs settled

it firmed up the rear thanks to a much higher spring rate, but if you look at the specs vs direct replacement (moog) springs for the wagon, the unloaded (no cargo) spring height is lower (8.6" instead of 9.5"). looking through the entire moog coil spring list, it seems the cargo coils for 80's ford ltd's are the right sizes/style and will get the rear up closer to factory level with dramatically increased spring rate for better load support and firmer handling. actually, the ltd wagon cargo coils list a 10.5" height when installed on an ltd wagon. might be a bit more in a somewhat lighter k car. since these cars do have that droopy looking rear (even when new) and i have a hitch on my k wagon, i may go this route.....after i see how well my pair of 87 shelby lancer front springs do at dropping the front (supposed to be a 1.5" drop on a lancer). i like a slight hot rod rake on a car. the only car that looks good leveled/dragging it's butt is a 49 merc.
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Postby Dodge Aries K » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:23 am

My ghetto cheap better rear spring is the units from a Dodge Dynasty without the air ride. Worked wonders in my old Shadow and will be put to use again in my Town and Country,
Dodge Aries K

Postby MyDodgeDip » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Yea, I was going to dump dynasty springs into my convertible to level it out a bit.
MyDodgeDip

Return to Suggestions and Comments