Starter Drag

Go here for Suggestions and Comments regarding the Website and Forum. For car discussion, use topics below.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Starter Drag

Postby njr600 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Been noticing that my starter has been dragging. I have replaced the battery in my car a few months ago but still get the same drag effect. In the early morning my car fires right up and the starter sounds real strong. And on the cold days here in VA my car starts right up with no problems. But seems like as the days get warmer out is when the problem occurs the most. After running my car for a good hour or two on a warm day outside. I go to start it back up but my starter drags like its trying to turn but it doesnt have enough kick. I let it sit for a good 10 mins or so and it fires right back up with no problems. I had my timing checked and i got told that it was slightly off and now set back to the correct spot. But i notice that its been starting right up but one day i had the same issue on a warm day. Could it be my starter is getting weak?? I have not changed it since i had the car so it may be time but it starts fine when the weather is cold and on short trips it starts right back up. Don't want to replace the starter and it does not solve the problem. Guess it may not hurt but i want to fix the problem :D
njr600

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 2.2 Turbo

Re: Starter Drag

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:56 pm

My guess is that your starter is on its way out. If you have an inductive current meter you can measure the current when it works ok and and when it is cranking slow. If its drawing alot of current when it is cranking slow the motor is NG. Here is a link to one gneral article on starters.

http://www.misterfixit.com/starttst.htm
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Return to Suggestions and Comments