Alignment or rack and pinion??

Go here for Suggestions and Comments regarding the Website and Forum. For car discussion, use topics below.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Alignment or rack and pinion??

Postby njr600 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi to all!! How is everyone?? Got a lilttle issue going on with my steering. When i'm driving my car it tends to go to one side then go back straight and then goes to the right then back straight and stays straight for awhile and then moves left or right. When i'm taking off my wheel pulls a little to the right but then tries to go back to the center after that my car stays straight and does the left and right movement. Feels like the car is controlling itself at that point and then goes back straight. Had someone tell me it could be my rack going bad. I was going to take My Dodge 600 in this weekend to have the alignment looked at and see whats going on with it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this problem could be??
njr600

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 2.2 Turbo

Re: Alignment or rack and pinion??

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:00 pm

NOT a mechanic here, but have had over 40 cars since I turned 16 y.o.

It could be something as simple as a front-end alignment, I have had cars that wandered all over the road when I would first purchase them, take them in and have them inspect and align the front end, and be ever so grateful when they would find NOTHING wrong!!! haha... But there were other times, when a idler arm would be worn and lose, and once the whole front end in my Toronado had to be completely rebuilt!

I would say if you can turn the steering wheel from left to right, and back right to left and you don't hear a myriad of clunks, and groans, and a whining noise, you just probably just need a alignment.

But ya never know till ya get it in there.

best of Luck to you!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:42 am

Racks can do what you are describing but so can loose front end components. Your best bet is to have the alignment shop check the front end out before doing an alignment and see what they find.
MyDodgeDip

Postby njr600 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks for all the advice and help!!! I got the problem fix. Guess what it was???? Lol it was alignment. It was off on the right a little bit. But now my wheel stays center and rides better. Hopefully it will last for awhile, with all the darn potholes in our town who knows lol. I'm going to have to get the alignment redone because my struts are bad. So i'm going to have to get another alignment once i replace the struts but oh well, I guess it ride ten times better once i do that, it rides pretty good now. Thanks for all the advice!!!
njr600

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Glad to hear thats all it was....$$$$

I am needing new struts on the front of both of my K-cars, I am thinking of going with the Monroe Sensatrac strut.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby njr600 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:09 pm

@Jacks1986Lebaron how much do the Monroe sensatrac strut go for?? and installed. I was thinking about getting there quick strut. I think thats what it is called. Mine are worn out. Its starting to hit hard now on those bumps in the road and sometimes i sit in the driver side and be like ouccch. I'm working on it though. Mabye by end of this month i can have it done. Still working on the Convertible top money. Now i'm wishing i had a hard top lol, then all i have to worry about is getting the car painted. But oh well, Just been trying to save up but you all knows how that goes though. But all is good with the old dodge, cant really bad mouth it. Its been good to me :D
njr600

Return to Suggestions and Comments