Coolant Temp Sensor/Power Loss

Go here for Suggestions and Comments regarding the Website and Forum. For car discussion, use topics below.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Coolant Temp Sensor/Power Loss

Postby njr600 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi Everyone!!! :D Been awhile since i posted but i got an issue going on with my 84 dodge 600 2.2 turbo. I notice my power loss light had came on a few days ago and notice the car not running right. Running rough and idle higher. So i had a chance to do the code check on my car. I'm getting codes 21, 22, 42, 51, 55. I know 55 is stating that the code search has ended. 21 is referring to the oxygen sensor as well as 51. 42 i do not know what this is for and 22 is for the coolant temp sensor which is causing the power loss light to come on and stay on. Does anyone know what this sensors main purpose is? I had an auto parts salesperson tell me that it sends a signal to the radiator fan to cut on when the motor reaches a certain temp. I havent notice any difference in my fan cutting on, maybe because when the radiator fan relay blew out a few years ago the mechanic fixed it by moving it to the ac relay circuit. So its been cutting on like that. I notice when i remove the plug from over the top of the coolant sensor the power loss light comes on and the engine still idles the same. This morning the light is out but still runs the same and the same codes are still being displayed. Has anyone ever replaced a coolant temp sensor? Does not look to hard to get too but I needed some guidance on how to replace it. If not i may just take it too a shop and have a mechanic do it. I dont want to mess anything up! Lol. Then i will have another issue on my hands. Any suggestions???
njr600

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 2.2 Turbo

Return to Suggestions and Comments