Newguy w/Forum Observation

Go here for Suggestions and Comments regarding the Website and Forum. For car discussion, use topics below.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Newguy w/Forum Observation

Postby wienker » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:37 pm

A couple forum observations by a newer member and newer inhabitant of K-World:

When a new post is submitted (not a reply), couldn't one of the reviewing administrators direct it into the most appropriate forum? I have seen related subjects "scattered" through several different forums (mechanical issues, parts sought, new member intros). There is a lot of overlap. It is easy to miss posts on topics you are interested in. I realize how these thing grow organically but some consolidation of topic heading might be in order.

Second, when a post is submitted and for some reason apparently not accepted by the reviewing administrator, why is there not some feedback to the posting individual as to why the post was not accepted? It would be useful to know why, or at least that it was received and reviewed.

All in all, I do very much appreciate the resource. Thanks.
wienker

Car Information: 1986 Dodge 600 Convertible

Re: Newguy w/Forum Observation

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:42 pm

wienker wrote:A couple forum observations by a newer member and newer inhabitant of K-World:

Second, when a post is submitted and for some reason apparently not accepted by the reviewing administrator, why is there not some feedback to the posting individual as to why the post was not accepted? It would be useful to know why, or at least that it was received and reviewed.

As far as I know, there is no reviewing administrator accepting or rejecting posts. But maybe if you are a brand new member your posts have to go thorugh a special screening for a limited time. The forum was getting inundated with SPAM for a while from automated generated "new members". I'm not sure how the administrator resolved the problem. As far as I know posts don't get rejected or deleted unless it is something that violates the rules (e.g., offensive language, etc.)

However, there appears to be at least one sub-forum in which I have never been allowed to generate a new posting. Maybe the Announcements section? I think the Club Predisent is the only one allowed to start new posts in that sub-forum. (It does not say anything special in the title of that sub-forum, it just seems to prevent you from starting a new posting.)

Maybe the Club President or Web Site Administrator can clarify.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 89ARIES » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:35 am

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. Basically, thanks to the spam that attacked our site and almost destroyed the club, I have to sort manually through my email
address as your president approve the first three posts for every new member. I typically do this every day. I always click the box that says notify new member once I have approved your post. We have had some serious software problems with this site and it is possible I did not see that approval link or it was temporarily hidden. I am sorry for any inconvenience.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby MyDodgeDip » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:18 pm

The reason the posts are all so scattered is because this forum is way too big. There are way too many similar places and subforums.
MyDodgeDip

Return to Suggestions and Comments