The 600 may need a Headlight Switch Plug

Go here for Suggestions and Comments regarding the Website and Forum. For car discussion, use topics below.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

The 600 may need a Headlight Switch Plug

Postby njr600 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi all!! When i got home last night i could not get my headlights to cut all the way off. I got them to go midway but i think my headlight switch has had it. I was having a problem a few months back getting the lights to stay on without flickering. Lastnight i got a switch and decided to go ahead and see if i could replace the switch myself. I got it out sucessfully but i notice that the switch had melted into the plug. The plastic was falling off the plug as i was disconnecting it from the switch. My plug still looks ok but checking to see where i could get a plug from? I guess it may be out of the junk yard but our junk yard have crushed alot of K's over the years so theres rarely any around. Guess i will double check. Hopefully my new switch that i try to put in over the weekend will work. It looks like all the metal pieces to the 9 prong plug seems to be intact but just looks burnt up. I will be back to let you know how the outcome is. Going to Install the new switch tonight or tomorrow.
njr600

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 2.2 Turbo

Re: The 600 may need a Headlight Switch Plug

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:11 pm

I've seen it happen a few times. You need to find a plug and solder it in. It's time consuming but not terribly hard. Rockauto also carries a replacement plug for around 20 bucks if you can't find a junkyard one.
MyDodgeDip

Postby njr600 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Well the new switch has been installed. At first it would not sit in the plug correctly but after moving it around and some adjustments, the plug snapped into place and is working fine. @my dodge dip do you know the part number for the headlight plug that is on rock auto? I wouldnt mine having a backup one just in case mine goes bad or does not work the next time around. I think i should be good to go for awhile though but you never know. Thanks!! :D
njr600

Postby MyDodgeDip » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Generally when the plug melts like that it gives you problems down the road. It may even kill a new switch. You can find the plug on rockauto through the catalog.
MyDodgeDip

Postby njr600 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:21 pm

@My Dodge Dip do you know what else it could be listed under? I tried looking for it but the only thing that comes up is the headlamp socket for the front headlights. I type in headlight switch socket in the search box but nothing comes up listed, it just goes back to headlamp socket.
njr600

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:01 pm

If it is in Rockauto's listing it would have come up under Electrical-Connectors in the pull down menu for your car. It comes up for 83 dodge aries and 88 dodge aries, but not for 84 dodge 600. The aftermarket connector for the 83 and 88 aries and lots of other mopars is Airtex/Wells Part Number 1P1190. Airtex 1P1190 is also available on ebay, but most listing don't show it fitting any K-car. I'm not sure what is different on your particular car - maybe different keying and would not fit? Maybe this connector could be modified to fit? The Mopars books seem to list the 9 pin insulator of the connection as being the same across all the years (3843141).

One listing that I found for aftermarket headlight switches said that one number for your headlight switch is HLS17 for your particular car and is used on lots of ther Mopars including Dodge 600 88-84, Daytona 84-89, Dynasty 84-89, 88, 93-90, Lancer 89-85, Spirit 93-95, Acclaim 90-95, Imperial 93-90, Laser 86-84, Lebaron 90,94,88-84, New Yorker 87, NY 92-90, Caravelle 88-85, Chrysler Conquest 88-87, Laser 86-84,.....

I would suggest going to the junkyard - trying to find one of those cars and checking that the connector mates with your switch, and then getting the connector with as much lead as possible off the junk car.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby MyDodgeDip » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:16 am

Thanks for the legwork K-Car, I was running off to work and couldn't find the numbers. I'm pretty sure they're all the same and even cross over to Diplomats, Gran Fury and 5th Ave.
MyDodgeDip

Postby njr600 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Thanks K-Car Wagon and My Dodge Dip. I had a chance to go back and take a look at it on Rock Auto. Looks the same as my plug. I may take mine back out this weekend and replace it with a better plug. A friend of mine also found a plug in the junkyard for me. He told me there are a few k cars in the junkyard and are going to be scraped in may. I'm going to try and see if i can find any more odd parts for my car. The only problem that i seen with the plug that my friend got out the junkyard is that the wires may be cut a little too short but then again it may be alright.

Was fairly a easy job getting the headlight switch out and reinstalling it. Once i started messing with it the thrill of fixing it took over lol.The auto shops were going to charge 50 to 60 to do this. And they were saying its going to be hard to find the plug if its burned out. I hate when they do that because it makes it seem that you wont find it no matter what you do. I guess sometimes its that way.But it makes you want to give up on your old car. Well once again a part has been found lol. So thanks again!! Next adventure will be the convertible top unless something else comes up lol. Keeping my fingers crossed.
njr600

Return to Suggestions and Comments