I AM THE NEW GUY

Go here for Suggestions and Comments regarding the Website and Forum. For car discussion, use topics below.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: I AM THE NEW GUY

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi,

Yes, adding A/C to a non A/C car is quite a project. I'm looking at doing it with my non A/C 86 Plymouth Reliant. I've been working on car A/C systems for over 30 years so I have all the tools and equipment required. I haven't decided how i'm going to do it yet, a full factory R12 system or something like the ACkits approach. I may decide to do a factory under the hood R12 approach with an add on evaporator system under the dash, that's kind of my current thinking. I do my own A/C service work on all my vehicles and have been using Arizona Mobile Air (ACkits.com)the past few years when I need parts. Their prices are about the same or sometimes a little better than local suppliers. but, the quality level of their parts especially compressors is much higher. Also, they have been very helpful when looking for an oddball part the local guys just shake their heads at.

Good luck with your car and let us know how you make out. It sounds like you have found a very nice car and if you intend to keep it and use it adding A/C may be worth it to you. Here in New Hampshire many cars of our k cars vintage also did not have factory air. We really don't need it up here. but, if you are planing on taking any longer trips south in the summer a non A/C car isn't much fun.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby wipala » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Pete,
I contacted ackits by phone and they do not handle any kits for the 1988 2.2l for
the LeBaron..I was given a number for aapak, also here in Phoenix, and the told
me they could indeed come up with a kit and install for somewhere around
$1,000 with a 12 month or 12,000 mile guarantee..This does not include
a bigger radiator if one is needed..
wipala

Car Information: 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi,

Sounds like your making some progress toward getting A/C installed. The 1988 Chrysler parts book calls for a different radiator and fan shroud assembly for A/C versus Non A/C cars. However, the aftermarket radiators are the same for A/C and non A/C cars. So, it sounds like if the car still has the original factory radiaitor you may need to upgrade it. The good news is new radiators are relatively inexpensive. rockauto.com lists them for around $75. your 88 takes the same aftermarket radiator as my 86. The radiator fan shroud assembly will need to be changed as the A/C cars have a larger fan motor and a fan that moves more air. The original factory A/C systems used R12 refrigerant which is more efficient than the newer R134 which would likely be used with a new installation. So, R134 will need even more air flow throught he radiator and A/C condensor. i would leave the fan details to the shop that does the installation. They may wind up using an even larger fan than the original factory A/C fan.
Pete in NH

Postby Dodge Aries K » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:33 am

Leaving a convertible in the garage for the summer and using it for spring/fall/winter. Arizona sounds pretty awesome hahaha.

Adding the a/c to the car is a pretty daunting task. The dashboard has to be removed to do this. Personally, I'd leave it be and use it for the majority of the time when the a/c isn't required. Otherwise, junkyard it up for the majority of the components but do yourself a favor and get a new heater core and evaporator while you've got the HVAC box out. Better safe than sorry with those when it comes to all the work and unfun required to pull that stuff back out.
Dodge Aries K

Postby wipala » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Dodge Aires,,Thanks for the input..We are really torn about the a/c but here
in Az in from today until the middle of Oct it gets pretty warm during the day
and stays fairly warm during the evenings. There is a company here in the Phoenix
area, aapak, that does install on cars that have not had air, they offer a 12 month or
12,000 mile warranty..I have gotten a quote,,not binding, over the phone that
came in around $1100..this is without changing the radiator or the suggestions
you have made..The radiator will be a must,,will look at your suggestions..
Keep on keeping on and thanks for your input.. :D
wipala

Postby MyDodgeDip » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:42 am

I don't know about down there but here in NJ I could buy another convertible lebaron for around $1,100 that had A/C in it already. It may be more cost effective for you to do that.
MyDodgeDip

Postby wipala » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Well, it is official...I have given up trying to put a/c
inot my Lebaron Conv..The person that was to do the
job has finked out several times and he now will
not return calls..also he moved and I have no idea
where....but, we still have this beautiful car that
will serve us well,,,just not in the summer...lol
wipala
wipala

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi,

Sorry to hear your plans didn't work out. Adding A/C to a non A/C car is quite a project and I guess your guy thought better of it and doesn't have the integrity to just tell you that. I hope you can enjoy your car as it is and if you want to take another crack at the A/C just let us know.
Pete in NH

Postby wipala » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:22 pm

PeteinNh..thanks,,,we will just not use the car so much in the summer...however we just go
back from back east and you guys are having a AZ like summer.....before it is all said and
done we would really like to put a/c in the car but it will have to wait...
Thank you
Walt
wipala

Previous

Return to Suggestions and Comments