1984 Dodge 600 ES Ooops My Wheel fell off

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1984 Dodge 600 ES Ooops My Wheel fell off

Postby anarchan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:52 pm

My son and I bought The 600 for $250 off a friend who kept it in his garage and only drove it around town. We were warned that the car had never been serviced, inspected or had ANYTHING done to it in 8 years (we will revisit this idea later). The car needs a new top but otherwise seemed solid. We vacuumed the car, changed the oil, did a few minor things and decided it was time for her first serious road test.

Top down, off we go down I95 to Philly airport to pick up someone. Beautiful day, car running straight as an arrow (This is my third K convertible and 5th K-body so I know what I have) and then we hear a tap tap tap from the right front corner. We immediately pulled over, checked around the car and decided it was road noise. Back in the car, up to about 50 and then we hear TAP TAP BOOM BOOM BOOM BANG! and the car begins to lurch to the right and DOWN! We sheared off all four lugs and lost the right front wheel.....on 95....on a bridge....in Center City....10 minutes from flight time. And as we grind to a stop, here comes the front wheel, rolling silently along side us to come to a rest about 30 feet ahead against the abutment.

We were towed to a pep Boys, who wanted $300 to fix the car and didn't even have the parts in stock. (Remove and replace caliper, Replace lug nuts, replace ground down rotor, spin balance tire, check for damage etc) FORTUNATELY there was an Auto Zone, and between the two parts houses I was able to purchase or rent the tools and parts I needed to rebuild the front end in the parking lot. It took me three hours, but we were then able to drive from Philly to Seaside Heights to Bound brook NJ without a problem.

It turns out that the old owner ALSO lost that wheel, and Magilla Gorilla-ed the lugs back in, but did not replace the rotor, which had not one but TWO large wear spots from dragging across the pavement. The car is alive and well and looking for interior and some body stuff to make it a better driver for my son.

I love these cars. :D

My ex wife flipped one on the PA turnpike (an 84 E-class) and everyone walked away. My ex-gf had an 84 400 hardtop. It caught fire and the firewall held. The car was destroyed but we were able to get all of the Christmas presents out of the trunk bone dry.

Did I say I love these cars?????? :lol:

Ed Z
anarchan

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 ES convertible

Re: 1984 Dodge 600 ES Ooops My Wheel fell off

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:25 am

WOW!!!

My 86 had almost the same thing happen, fortunately for it and me, the passenger side axle broke just as I pulled out onto the main road out in front of where I work!!

i just had everything checked out 4 months previously when the front brakes got rebuilt.

Glad you and your son are both okay, and that the k-car is back on the road!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Are you from Bound Brook? I'm right in Bridgewater. Let me know what you're looking for and I can keep my eyes peeled (or I may even have it already in my stockpile of parts :D ).
MyDodgeDip

Postby nszotovich » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:19 am

Impressive array of cars. Good work!
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Return to Injured classic K-cars (includes accidents and small scratches)