i am baffled and need help

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Re: i am baffled and need help

Postby bamman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:10 am

By applying power to the coil you are manually bypassing the ASD relay. That is why you hear the fuel pump come on.
Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the ignition to on?
If not your ASD relay may be bad, since that controls power to the fuel pump, the coil, and fuel injector.

If you do find that the ASD relay is bad, you will have to replace your computer. The ASD relay is actually built into the computer on 85-87 models.
bamman

Car Information: 1990 Dodge Omni, 1991 Dodge Daytona

Postby foss246 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:39 pm

bamman wrote:By applying power to the coil you are manually bypassing the ASD relay. That is why you hear the fuel pump come on.
If not your ASD relay may be bad, since that controls power to the fuel pump, the coil, and fuel injector.

If you do find that the ASD relay is bad, you will have to replace your computer. The ASD relay is actually built into the computer on 85-87 models.

the fuel pump does not come on when the ignition is turned on. I pulled the codes but only gave me 11, 12 ,22 , 55. replacing the whole computer sounds like an expensive fix. Is their any other way to test to see if this is the problem?
foss246

Car Information: 85 chrysler lebaron turbo

Postby foss246 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:47 pm

bamman wrote:By applying power to the coil you are manually bypassing the ASD relay. That is why you hear the fuel pump come on.

is there any way to test the ASD relay. If triggered can it be reset. thanks for any help on this.
foss246

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Automatic Shutdown Relayby Bob O’Neill and Bob Lincoln
The power supplied to the fuel pump, ignition coil, fuel injectors, and parts of the power module is controlled by the logic module through the Automatic Shutdown Relay (ASD); the idea is to shut off fuel pressure and the ignition systems when the key is turned off to prevent fires, dieseling, and other problems. The relay is located in different places on different years.
In the 1985 – 1987 model years, the power module houses the ASD. For the 1984 models, vehicles which use a SMEC or SBEC have an external relay. From about 1990 on, the ASD relay was in a plastic underhood relay box at the left fender well.
The ASD relay is closed (allowing power to flow through it) when the ignition is first turned on. If the signal from the ignition reference is lost while the engine is running, or if the turbo boost pressure reaches and exceeds the over boost cut-off point, the logic module cuts power to the ASD, which in turn removes power from the fuel pump, ignition coil, injectors and those parts of the power module. This causes the engine to shut down.
The logic module monitors the relay driver. If it senses that the relay driver is not responding correctly it will trigger a code. If the logic module does not sense an absence of current when the circuit is open, or 12 volts DC when the circuit is closed, it knows that the circuit is open or shorted, and triggers code 42. In later models which used the SMEC or SBEC, the logic module monitors the output of the fuel pump relay output as well as the fuel injectors. If it does not see 12 volts DC when the relay is activated, it triggers code 42.
Failure of the automatic shutdown relay is often shown as inexplicable stalling or refusal to start.
Bohdan Bodnar noted, “The ASD can be triggered by a broken wire or short in another place, e.g. the fuel pump.”
For troubleshooting purposes only (don’t drive like this!), Ed Hennessy wrote: “You can try feeding power to the fuel pump directly. Connect 12V+ from the battery through a fused link to the positive terminal of the coil. That will back feed 12V to the fuel pump through the ASD circuit. If the pump runs [it should be easy to hear], the ASD relay is bad. If not, the fuel pump or its wiring is probably the problem."
http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/sensors ... tdown.html
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby foss246 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:05 am

ok im about to scrap this project. I cant find a ASD relay anywhere. I have called chrysler, parts stores, even trw who made the original one. and even gone to the junk yard. Since i cant find the relay i thought i would try other avenues. I have swapped out all the other relays and even the ECU to see if they were the cause. No suck luck. I have also checked all fusible relays and no problems there. Can someone help me to find the last hope in a auto shutdown relay for this car? please?????????
foss246

Postby dodgeariesguy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:35 am

Your ASD relay is part of your Power Module located behind your battery in the engine compartment, here's a diagram for you.
85lebaronASD.jpg
85lebaronASD.jpg (159.18 KiB) Viewed 10739 times
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby 88 aries » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:59 am

dude where are you getting all of this. I want one of those CD's
88 aries

Postby 89ARIES » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:04 am

Can you please tell me where in California you are located? The club is based in Los Angeles. I'll see what resources I can pull together. 8)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Hemi-Dude » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:21 pm

foss246 wrote:i purchased a 85 Chrysler LeBaron convertible in great shape. Drove it home and been working on it ever since. I was working on it and found i had poor to no gas flow. Replaced the pump and then she ran good. A couple days later and after doing brakes, etc. i had no spark. I checked it out and then replaced the distributor and then i haven't been able to get the power loss light to go out. While trouble shooting i have replaced the coolant sensor, and the engine temp sensor. Come to find out it was actually the engine harness plugs that were shot to the distributor. I went to the junk yard to get replacements. When i went to kook it all back up i still had no spark. i went ahead and hooked up the distributor i got from the junk yard to find out it had spark. So i figured the new distributor got burned out. I ordered a second new distributor and installed the other day. I went ahead and set the timing and she was running good. I did notice the fan was running all the time the engine was on, which i thought was different. I found the power loss light was still on but she was running pretty descent. Today i went out to take for a ride and i have no spark again. I tried to unplug the coolant sensor wire thinking that might be the problem from other posts on here. Still no spark! i am baffled and frustrated. Does anyone know what the problem is and did i fry the second new distributor again? PLEASE HELP!!!! :evil:

My best advise is short but not too sweet. Find a reliable mechanic who knows your vehicle's system and have him repair it.

Hemi...
Hemi-Dude

Previous

Return to Technical Support