trouble accelerating.

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

trouble accelerating.

Postby Evilsmuff » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:58 pm

here's a cunundrum. car worked fine till i attemted to pull the engine and broke the vacuum lines. i've replaced the lines and now it starts idles slightly rough in park, idles fine in drive, maybe a little low on the rpm, accelerates slowely aok, but the second the turbo kicks in it sputters, chokes, and the exsaust spits out a cloud of black smoke. i'm figuring on doing a full engine rebuild now anyways but i was kind of hoping someone could shed some light on this issue and what it may be. i figured it was a vacuum leak but i can't pin point one anywhere on the new system.
Evilsmuff

Car Information: Caravelle 1986 2dr, 1985 4dr, 600 1987 4dr

Re: trouble accelerating.

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Black smoke is generally a fuel problem with the car running too rich. Sometimes with carb cars the carb is flooding becasue the needle is not seating or the float is saturated or the choke may not be coming off.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Hemi-Dude » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Evilsmuff wrote:here's a cunundrum. car worked fine till i attempted to pull the engine and broke the vacuum lines. i've replaced the lines and now it starts idles slightly rough in park, idles fine in drive, maybe a little low on the rpm, accelerates slowely aok, but the second the turbo kicks in it sputters, chokes, and the exhaust spits out a cloud of black smoke. I'm figuring on doing a full engine rebuild now anyways but i was kind of hoping someone could shed some light on this issue and what it may be. i figured it was a vacuum leak but i can't pin point one anywhere on the new system.

I'd suggest going over the vacuum lines you repaired and make sure they are properly connected. I'm not aware if you have a carb or throttle body fuel injection. If fuel injection, be sure you have proper vacuum to the MAP sensor.
For more help, tell us more information about your car and the fuel system.

Hemi...
Hemi-Dude

Postby Evilsmuff » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:07 am

it's fuel injected. I'll still be pulling the engine so i will have plenty of time to go over the vacuum lines again.
Evilsmuff

Postby Evilsmuff » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:56 am

Been thinking now... is it possible that the vacuum lines have a proper sequence? it may be that i havent put them in that arrangement. are there diagrams out there that may assist with that? i had to figure out by accident when i changed the spark wires and plugs that there was a certain firing sequence to be followed. thing wasn't running on all 4 pistons for 20 minutes till i checked it out... didn't actually find the diagram on the hood with directions till much much later... there are days where i think to myself, "maybe i shouldn't aspire to be a mechanic...." :lol:
Evilsmuff

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:59 pm

Yes, there are typically diagrams in the service mauals showing all the vacuum line connections. What year/model/engine ? (86? or 87? 2.2l Turbo?) I will check if I have a manual that covers your car and shows the vacuum routing.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Evilsmuff » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:48 am

the engine is from the 87 dodge 600. 2.2l turbo. thanks for looking into this for me.
Evilsmuff

Return to Technical Support