1994 chrysler lhs no spark to coil pack

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

1994 chrysler lhs no spark to coil pack

Postby tnm4e » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:27 pm

I bought a 94 lhs it had a blowen head gasket so I tore the engine apart and redid the heads. put the engine back together and it won't start. Replace the cam and crank sensor. Ran a test for the spark from the power train control moduel. I am only getting spark on 2 of the 3 wires. The wire for spark plug one and four isn't getting any spark. I tried changing the power train control moduel. Checked all the wires no shorts. What else could cause there to be no spark on one and four? I would apperciate any suggestions I can't afford to put it in the shop.

Thank you
Timothy jones
tnm4e

Car Information: chrysler lhs 1994

Re: 1994 chrysler lhs no spark to coil pack

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:59 pm

As you probably know, cylinders 1 & 4 use a common coil in the coil pack and fire simultaneously. Assuming your sensors are ok and properly gaped (I read somewhere else that crank sensor gap problem can cause a pair of cylinders to not fire), maybe there is a problem in the coil pack which caused a secondary failure in your power train control module driving your coil pack - and the replacement power train control module that you put in also got blown. Try resistance testing your coil pack. See the following link which is not for an LHS but an Intrepid - but might be useful in testing the coil pack. I'm not sure if the pin outs or resistance measurements are the same - but you get the idea.

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=176259

Also, make sure the spark plug wires for cylinders 1 and 4 are ok and not shorting out.

There seems to be something else that does not make sense. If you are getting a good spark on 4 of the 6 cylinders and fuel and timing were ok - I think you would expect to hear the car firing on the 4 cylinders - and maybe, start and run very rough. Do you hear any of the cylinders fire ok - you said it does not start? Did you change the timing belt- and are you sure it was properly aligned? I also assume you checked compression after the rebuild and is now ok on all cylinders.

A couple of other things to check. Make sure your wiring harness is good (continuity)between the power train control module output connector side connector and the coil pack input connector side of the harness for the 1&4 coil control signal wire. Also test for fault codes. There are relatively inexpensive code readers available.
Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Re: 1994 chrysler lhs no spark to coil pack

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:38 pm

Curious, he states it won't start?

I wonder if it is actually cranking (trying to start) or when he turns the key there is nothing??

He doesn't state either way.... :mrgreen:

If its cranking but not getting any spark, it could be the ignition coil, but I'm no mechanic.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Return to Technical Support