battery over charging

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

battery over charging

Postby john » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:36 pm

I have an 85 lebaron 2.2 liter. My batery keeps charging at 18 volts. I have changed the computer twice. It worked fine for about a month each time. then started over charging again.
john

Car Information: 1985 chrysler lebaron

Re: battery over charging

Postby Usagi » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:22 am

the voltage regulator is in the alternator in these vehicles. Try replacing the VR inside the alt if you're good (GOOD) with electronics, or just the whole alt if you're a mortal like me.
Usagi

Postby terrymirkov » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:47 am

I was under the impression that the voltage regulator was in the power module on this car, located near the battery . I could be wrong, but I thougt it was.
terrymirkov

Car Information: 84 and 86 silver converts 2.6 and 2.2turbo

Postby bob_amos » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:34 am

On a 2.2 or 2.5 L engine the regulator is in both the logic as well as the power module. The logic controle the input for the power module and the power does all of the rel work by exciting the alternator. The logic just tells it how much is needed. You can install an external regulator on these cars. Sometimes the check engine lamp will light and sometimes it won't. It's been a long time since I worked on these on a daily basis so I don't recall the ones that will not set the lamp. If you want instructions on this install let me know and I'll share that with you. As to the 2.6L engines. The regulator is, indeed, in the alternator so both are right. It is just that the engine dictates where you will find the regultor. Bob Amos
bob_amos

Car Information: 1982 Dodge Aries

Return to Technical Support