A very vague question about ignition (or lack of it)

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

A very vague question about ignition (or lack of it)

Postby ReliantLV » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:42 am

I realize this is a difficult one, but are there any tricks to the ignition - some secret/hidden wires that might have gotten disconnected while working on the carburettor etc.? Some special K-car tricks? The Reliant always started well, but after the winter in the garage and some work done on the carburettor he refuses to start at all. There is just no spark. I can describe it in more detail once I write down everything my mechanic tells me, if any one here thinks it would help diagnose it. He has been looked over by at least 4 car electricians already, and none could find where the problem lies. (My mechanic is not an electrician but at least he was the one who found where the 'computer' is hidden)

Not very hopeful on this one, but maybe someone had a similar problem?
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Re: A very vague question about ignition (or lack of it)

Postby 1of10K » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:15 am

It's difficult to diagnose here without testing the car for different things, but here goes. If work was done on the carb and now the car dosen't start, I would guess it does probably does not involve the computer, especially if the car ran before the carb work. I don't know the Mechanic, so forgive me if I ask if you are certain that the problem of "no spark" was verified, that each spark plug was not getting any voltage from the distributor while the motor was being turned over in the attempt to start?? If any of the plugs, even one, is getting spark, it will narrow the problem down much more as to what the fix might be. Can I presume that the distributor cap was pulled off and checked for damage or cracks and that the wire going to the center of it was tested for voltage also when the motor was turning?? If there is any chance that the "no spark" problem was not verified, there may be an easy fix at the carb, one that my own mechanic missed and just about caused my car to be undriveable.Let us know if you have more inmformation and maybe some details as to what carb work was done.
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby Butch » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:54 am

Here is a diagram of an ing. system very closely related to yours....http://aa1car.com/library/no_spark.htm. This site is the cats a$$ for info. Do you have a service manual for your car ? If not i'll send you one I found in the J/yard, I was gonna send it to you anyways with your brake parts. In the diagram you'll see the coil, the plus side shold have battery voltage while cranking and running and the neg side needs to flecker a test light while cranking and running. If both these conditions are met than the coil is bad. Also have your mechanical check for any ground wires he may have left off. Another thing have him check for a good power and ground at the computer. And one more word of advice register here...http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/cmps_index.php and do some sweet talking. Alot of good mechanics there.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby ReliantLV » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Thanks a LOT (I only just logged in, not online much lately), I am saving this and will take it to my mechanic tomorrow. Will also read it in more detail at home and respond about what has been done already. Thank you very very much!
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:18 pm

Has the mechanic checked for fault codes???
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby 88 aries » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:35 am

there are no codes for the carbuated 2.2, only the TBI engines have codes. so you have to dignose the problem your self
88 aries

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:23 pm

:oops:

Sorry I only read the initial post and did not scan to the far right to see the year and model of his vehicle!! :mrgreen:
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby ReliantLV » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi everyone!!!!!!!

Well, today is the big day!!!!! Ignition is back!!!! The distributor was at fault, because of the generator. I'm not sure exactly what happened or why, but that's what my mechanic told me and I'm EXCITED!!!! Now hopefully only the minor things are left (as well as finishing the brake system) and then we can try to pass the technical inspection!!!!!! Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!!
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Postby Butch » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:55 am

Does that mean you're gonna want your drums now ? Glad to hear your car is running again.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby ReliantLV » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:09 pm

I will let you know as soon as I know more! (I am afraid to plan anything yet, I'm so afraid something else will happen with it again)
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Next

Return to Technical Support