'88 Dodge Aries sat couple years & won't start

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Re: '88 Dodge Aries sat couple years & won't start

Postby Butch » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:28 am

When cycling the key 3 times without starting the eng. puts the computer in self test mode + will spit out codes. I don't know for sure, but maybe that's the reason your not getting power on the 3rd try. Try disconnecting the battery for 20 min. to reset it. Next put a LITTLE gas down the T/body and see if it will fire. If it does, turn the key off then get back to the tank ( with the plug back on ) and listen to see if the fuel pump will run for a second while someone turns on the key. Just so you know, the ASD relay is a plastic square box about 1 1/8" square with 4 wires going to it. A red (?) wire sound be hot at all times. A black wire goes to the coil, injector, O2 sensor and the fuel pump. A yellow wire goes to the DLC connector where it splices + continues to the #58 pin in the 60 pin connector of the puter. A dark blue wire goes to #3 pin in the 14 pin connector of the puter which splices and continues to the #12 pin of the 60 pin connector. The colors may be differant as I'm looking at a diagram for a Lebaron but thats would be the only difference. The puter grounds the relay to work.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby Butch » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:18 am

Try posting on .....http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/cmps_index.php I know there's a few guys in your hood that know these cars, maybe some can help you out.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby 88 DODGE » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Butch.. you are a genius.
I put some gas down the throttle body and after the third attempt the car started! These K cars are indestructable! Sitting 8 years and ran like a charm.. amazing. After running for about 5 minutes i gave it some small revs and it stopped, I'm pretty sure it's the relay since it wouldn't click again and the fuel pump must have been working because it ran for 5 minutes. I'll be changing the relay and updating you on it.
88 DODGE

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries LE

Previous

Return to Technical Support