Mikuni secondary diaphram

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Mikuni secondary diaphram

Postby foamermetal » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:22 am

I posted earlier in the week about my poor off idle accelerating (82 Lebaron 2.6). I put a vacuum on the depresion chamber for the secondaries and it will not hold a vacuum. I need to know where I can get a replacement hopefully at a descent price. What other vehicles could donate the part? Could the rubber in the diaphram be repaired perhaps with a very carefull brush coating of rubber like the plasti dip. I really want to get the car up and running to it's full potential. I located in the salvage yard a hard plastic intake tube off of a late 80's Caravan that mates up to a Ford tube with just the right bend to go around the battery to replace the long ago worn out intake tube. Looks like it came that way. No pics yet.
foamermetal
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 lebaron medallion mark cross convertible

Re: Mikuni secondary diaphram

Postby 88 aries » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:54 am

well #1 a 2.6 will never run correctly the idle is poor, they are known for cracked heads, the jet valves going to pieces, and on and on. they will run but poorly, i was looking at 83 lebaron convertable, but when i opened the hood and saw the 2.6 i quickly turned away. now if it was a carbed 2.2 those are easier to maintain.

good luck with your lebaron
88 aries

Re: Mikuni secondary diaphram

Postby foamermetal » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:11 am

Hey, I fixed the secondary diaphram. Not sure if it will last but it was broken anyway. I put a 45 degree cut at a spot where its crimped together and peeled the circumference where its crimped apart to reveal the leaking rubber diaphram. Went to the local home improvement box store and purchased a can of plastic dip. Brushed it on both sides and let it dry. temporarily pieced it together and it would hold a vacuum. Crimped it back down and coated the seam with JB weld. Three days now and it's still working. I didnt come up with this fix on my own. I searched a Motorcycle forum for mikuni carb diaphrams and found it. I thought Since no fuel comes into contact with the rubber I would give it a try. I Still want to get a new one if anyone can help. Found a company in Australia web site with a nice picture of the one for the Mikuni on the 2.6 but no price. I'm waiting on an e-mail reply. There is still A slight bog comming off of idle, perhaps a rebuild and check of accelerator pump.
foamermetal
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 lebaron medallion mark cross convertible

Return to Technical Support