Lowering the Red Baron

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Lowering the Red Baron

Postby foamermetal » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 pm

Would like to lower the front of the 82 baron convertible just a bit. it seems a little nose high? Anyone accomplished this successfully. It rides like a dream and I don't want it bouncing down the road like a slamed civic.
foamermetal
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 lebaron medallion mark cross convertible

Re: Lowering the Red Baron

Postby dodgeariesguy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:56 pm

Based on the pictures you provided its got the normal K-Car lean, high in the front low in the back. But if you wanted to you could A) put stiffer taller rear springs in the back to flatten it out or B) Shorter MacPhearson struts in the front. B) is harder BTW.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby 88 aries » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:43 am

hmm... a case of the normal K-car sag in the rear, you could put some new springs and shocks to cure the problem, i know my 88 bounced and sagged 7 years ago, but now shes as balanced as a pin.
88 aries

Postby taxiguy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:44 am

What you want to do is raise the back, NOT lower the front. Trust me here, I did the exact same thing with my 600 convertible because I absolutely hate the so-called "K-car lean" that these all suffer from. In fact it is not really so much of a "problem" as it was that the designers were stupid and built them to look "saggy" from the factory. Who the hell wants a car that looks like it's dragging on the ground??

Anyway you can order these things from a shop that you put under the springs to make the rear sit a little bit higher. I forgot what they're called exactly, but if you have some mechanical experience you can install them yourself, and if not just pay a little fee to have them installed. The place I got them from came in half-inch or one-inch sizes. I went with the one inch size and it did wonders for my car. Finally the rear end is level with the front and the car doesn't bottom out when there is someone in the backseat. I highly reccomend them, I'll have to get back to you with what they're called exactly.
taxiguy
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 ES Turbo

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:48 am

"spacers"????
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby 1of10K » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:49 am

Some Chrysler Designer must have likes the original tail dragging custom cars of the late 40's and early 50's and just wanted to give our K cars some instant history!! It's almost like being in the Hirohata Merc when I drive my K, well, almost! Ha!
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby dodgeariesguy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:45 pm

A little research into this matter after pulling the rear suspension on K-Cars in the past shows that the springs were made of a metal that was too soft and too short for the application it was used for. I'm not a big fan of that or spacers, or clamps so I just swaped in heavy duty springs and shocks from NAPA and now in rides nice and even. I paid $98.43 for the set of 2 springs and 2 shocks.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:27 pm

GOOD info dodge1970!!!! Thanks!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby turbokcar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:22 pm

the springs on my 86 Lebaron convertible were worn out so I bought new springs from Eibach. They lowered the car about an inch maybe an inch and a half. Now the car rides a little stiff. I would not do it again given a choice. I also put 16" wheels on it and they raised it up some. It turns well, but the ride is no match for my Chrysler 300C
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby Hemi-Dude » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:21 pm

foamermetal wrote:Would like to lower the front of the 82 baron convertible just a bit. it seems a little nose high? Anyone accomplished this successfully. It rides like a dream and I don't want it bouncing down the road like a slamed civic.

Have you thought of cutting one coil out of each front springs? I did that on my Laser, it worked out just fine. You do have to remove the struts, then remove the springs to do the cutting. For you frugal guys, this is definitely the cheapest way to do it.
Hemi-Dude

Return to Technical Support