Engine stalled?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Engine stalled?

Postby MoparDan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:16 pm

This morning I started up my car-'89 Acclaim with a non-turbo 2.5L, put it Drive and it stalled, its never done this before, I let it idle a few minutes then took off fine. Got two fault codes: 12, 37. Any thoughts?
MoparDan
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge 600

Re: Engine stalled?

Postby Butch » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:00 pm

Code 37 is for a solenoid inside the trans and be caused by shift linkage out of adjustment, code 12 is low batt voltage sensed by the computer. Check this site out for info......http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby MoparDan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:56 pm

Butch wrote:Code 37 is for a solenoid inside the trans and be caused by shift linkage out of adjustment, code 12 is low batt voltage sensed by the computer. Check this site out for info......http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/

thanks, code 37 makes sense (feels alittle rough at random spots betwwen 45-55) the battery is farely new (or so I was told) but the positive termenal is not in the greatest shape-probablely whats causing the code. from looking alittle closer at the engine the other day (took the valve cover off to paint it) I found a few things I wasn't aware of: the PCV valve is no good and that little hose that conect it to the valve cover is cracked in so many spots (someone had coverd it with electrical tape) and the EGR vave in no good-the end where it conects to the vacume hose is broken off. could any of these have caused it to stall? the engine also ticks at the head (I'm told this is ok and that they all do) this engine will be in my 1986 Dodge 600 (VERY) soon and this will be my daily driver so I just want to make sure its ok
MoparDan
Car Fan

Postby Butch » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:27 am

The EGR would cause it to run rough at idle if it stuck open or leaks. If it's close it wouldn't effect anything but emissions ( high NOX ). Many things could be causing the stalling, I would start checking power and grd ( after cleaning the batt post ) at the puter and ASD relay. Low idle speed could cause stalling, Check this site out for good info......http://www.aa1car.com/index_alphabetical.htm Do you plan on using the 86 ECU and wiring ? And how does the 86 run now ?
Butch
Car Fan

Postby Butch » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:33 am

I just noticed you're in Connecticut, there's alot of Mopar FWD guys in your neck of the woods. Register on....http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/cmps_index.php and maybe you could get some help locally.
Butch
Car Fan

Postby MoparDan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:05 pm

it didn't stall today (just that one time yesterday) afew questions how do I check power and grd (whats grd?) and what (and where is) ASD relay? forgive my ignorance I know alittle about engines but not everything. 86's engine is gone, was diven at highway speeds with no oil pressure...it will still start but you can hear loud banging comming from cyl.1 I believe (the one closest to the timing belt) and if you give it any gas it shuts off. I bought the Acclaim because it has the same engine. which ECU/wiring should be used?
MoparDan
Car Fan

Postby Butch » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:39 pm

The ASD on the 86 is in the logic module, the 89 has a seperate one. Since you're puting the 89 eng. in the 86, I wouldn't even worry about the stalling problem since the 86 didn't have that problem. The easiest the to do is just instll the eng. and keep the 86 ECU and wiring. Grd means ground. To install the 89 ECU and wiring IS a big job and I wouldn't reccommend a novice mechanic doing it without supervision from someone that's done it B4. Like many guys in your neigborhood. :P
Butch
Car Fan

Postby MoparDan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:15 pm

So keep the '86's wiring ECU ect. thats what I was thinking. my freind is doing the engine swap now this car can do everything: one of my other freinds had him install a '95 Prelude VTEC engine in his '89 Accord. After he does the swap for me he'll probably say Thats it? :lol:

there IS someone in my neighborhood that drives a late(r) Dodge Aries 4 door though its some old lady
MoparDan
Car Fan

Postby 88 aries » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:07 am

it should work just fine, theres a good way to tell if your K-car has been replaced with a 89+ engine. 81-85 engines had a mechanical fuel pump mounted at the bottom of the block. TBI 86-88 engines had a block off plate for the pump. thats how i tell if the engine is a later one.
88 aries

Return to Technical Support