Valve lifter noise?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Valve lifter noise?

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:45 pm

I've been told since the dawn of time that all K-cars have a mild tapping sound when
the engine is running. I've been told its valve lifters or something slapping inside while
the pistons go up and down. My car has always had this sound since I owned it. Someone
riding with me mentioned the sound and set "is that your valve lifters"? It got me to thinking could the sound be getting worse or more noticeable at 140,000 miles. Is this
really normal? Can I expect it to get a whole lot worse until it sounds like a thrown piston? What makes this sound anyway? As a K-car nut, I should know the answer, but I have never really been concerned with this until now. Also, I find it weird that if the car has been sitting, and I start it, I can't seem to hear any tapping sound and while running, I hear it more in park then in drive.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Valve lifter noise?

Postby farmertom » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:36 am

My 1988 Reliant with the 2.2 and 103,000 makes quite a bit of noise. I have heard that it is caused by the wrist pins which are located in the bottom of the engine at the crank and not in the head at the valves. What is even worse is that the tired old engine is starting to get some piston slap so the poor car sounds like a diesel! Although it sounds like crap the thing just keeps running. :lol:

I believe the turbo engines were even more notorious for creating this noise. I was talking to a guy at a car show that said he had owned several turbo K's and he said that ALL of them made some kind of knocking or ticking noise to some degree.
farmertom
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant

Postby 88 aries » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:44 am

my 86 was quiet when i got it, it had not been ran in about a whole year it was quiet as a mouse. it has loosened up and has a slight wrist pin noise. but not as bad as my 88 with the 2.5 engine. and the 85 well thats quiet as a mouse accept the knock knocking which will be fixed before winter.
88 aries

Postby Butch » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:14 am

I Got brand new lifers, their noisy. It's ampified due to the steel metal curtain covering the cam. Bare in mind these cars are economy car ( cheap ) so the engineers didn't worry about a little noise here and there. Boyd designed and built his own lifers for his outragous cam that are quiet.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:14 pm

Well, mine don't seem to be getting worse. I always shrugged it off
as okay. Always had the noise. Surprised my boss who used to own my
car has just now mentioned it.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Hemi-Dude » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:31 pm

89ARIES wrote:I've been told since the dawn of time that all K-cars have a mild tapping sound when
the engine is running. I've been told its valve lifters or something slapping inside while
the pistons go up and down. My car has always had this sound since I owned it. Someone
riding with me mentioned the sound and set "is that your valve lifters"? It got me to thinking could the sound be getting worse or more noticeable at 140,000 miles. Is this
really normal? Can I expect it to get a whole lot worse until it sounds like a thrown piston? What makes this sound anyway? As a K-car nut, I should know the answer, but I have never really been concerned with this until now. Also, I find it weird that if the car has been sitting, and I start it, I can't seem to hear any tapping sound and while running, I hear it more in park then in drive.

OK you guys, I guess I better settle this so you will all know.
The NON-TURBO engines have wrist pins which are pressed into the connecting rod. That means that all the pivoting by the piston is done on the surface of the wrist pin that is in the piston. There is less than adequate lubrication to these points and therefore the wrist pin wears down in that area. This causes the 'diesel like sound' you hear mostly at idle and a little above that.
The TURBO engines have what is called 'floating' wrist pins. That is, there is a bronze bushing in the small end of the connecting rod which the wrist pin passes through. Some engines have a lubricating hole in the top of the connecting rod to provide oil to the pin and bushing. Therefore wear is reduced and wrist pin noise, if it ever occurs, also takes much longer to occur.
The noise does increase with time on the non-turbo engines, but I have never seen any that are actually mechanically affected by this.
Hemi-Dude

Postby turbokcar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:11 pm

My turbo engine has pressed in piston pins. When I had the machine work done on my engine,
[bored, honed, decked, balanced, and rods re sized] he had to press the pins in. My pistons are not stock though. and I put a roller cam and roller lifters in the engine and it still makes noise. I think Butch is correct it's a cheap car, so they don't do much to keep it quiet.
There is a guy at the Shelby Dodge meeting that has an Omni GLH, and it's a noisy, smell beast, I thought it had all kinds of issues, then Butch told me it's an 11 second car. And I don't think I will race him for pinks.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby Butch » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:45 pm

ALOT of guys are switching to the PT Cruiser lifters that are quiet but require a shim under them as they are shorter than the 2.2, 2.5 lifter. I'm planning to do the same. This post explains why the CHEAP ASS lifters are noisy....http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showt ... ht=lifters
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby foamermetal » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:32 pm

I don't want to get a lot of grief but would this same diesel noise at idle apperar on the 2.6 Mitsubishi engine as the same causes
foamermetal
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 lebaron medallion mark cross convertible

Postby gpaschen48 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:35 am

I have the same noise on my Rampage; Dodge dealer tech said its the wrist pins, he has replaced hundreds, but not to worry , the noise comes back after40 k miles. He told me just to drive it.
gpaschen48

Car Information: 1983 rampage

Next

Return to Technical Support