"86 PLYMOUTH RELIANT WIPER LINKAGE BUSHINGS

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

"86 PLYMOUTH RELIANT WIPER LINKAGE BUSHINGS

Postby DDAYMEN » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:24 pm

I NEED TO REPLACE THE BUSHINGS ON THE WINDSHIELD WIPER LINKAGE ARMS/WIPER MOTOR ON MY '86 RELIANT.
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE BEST PLACE TO GET THESE BUSHINGS, AND A GOOD WAY TO INSTALL THEM???
I TRIED ONE OF THOSE "HELP" KITS FROM AN AUTO PARTS PLACE (THE KIT SPECIFIED 1974 AND UP CHRYSLER ON THE PACKAGE), BUT I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT WHICH BUSHING CONNECTED THE LINKAGE TO THE MOTOR!!

THANKS FOR THE HELP,

DDAYMEN
DDAYMEN

Car Information: 1986 PLYMOUTH RELIANT K

Re: "86 PLYMOUTH RELIANT WIPER LINKAGE BUSHINGS

Postby bob_amos » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:36 am

This is an easy fix. The easiest way to do this is to remover the entire wiper linkage assembly. Remove the pivots that the arms and blades attach to, the link between them and the link that goes to the motor also known as a bell crank. Also remove the nut that holds the mechanism to the motor shaft. Now, on the bench, look at the direction that the bushings go into the linkage pieces. Remove the old broken parts and install the new plastic parts in the same direction as the old ones. The best way to insert these is to use a socket as a receiver and place it on the link so that when you press the bush into it it will go into the socket after passing through the linkage. Use a channel lock pliers to push it into the linkage being sure to line the little guide tab up with the slot in the linkage. Now after you have all the bushings in place using the channel locks press the ball on the pivots into the cavity in the already installed bushing. Now, install the complete assembly into the cowl chamber. After working things into the chamber line up the pivot with the hole for installation. Be sure to line up the pin if you have one on your pivot with the hole made for it in the cowl. Now install the bellcrank onto the motor and operate without the wiper arms. Turn off the wiper motor and allow it to park. Lastly, install the wiper arms so that they sit on the windshield where you want them to. On most factory windshiels there is an arrow or dash on the glass where the wiper blade should sit. Good luck. Normally this takes a seasoned mechanic about 20 minut to do so something in the area of an hour would be expected for a non pro. Your local dealer should still stock these but I have used the Help Parts with good luck in the past. Help Parts are made by Dorman products.
bob_amos

Car Information: 1982 Dodge Aries

Postby adambullet » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:49 am

can i get some help from anyone in here? i need some stuff online. my friend recommended these wiper blades from Wiper Wizard.. you think i should go for it? thanks.

Eclipse CD7100
adambullet

Car Information: toyota corolla

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:03 am

The good thing about these,they are the same as for older Chryslers.So,the same parts that a Charger/Aspen/Monaco would use,the Ks use as well.That is the only reason they are still readily available.
So,there's a little bit of musclecar in every K....
88AriesLEwagon

Return to Technical Support