Headliner / Headliner Board

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Headliner / Headliner Board

Postby Spats » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:22 am

Leading up to the subject, last night I had removed my entire headliner from my New Yorker. Reason being, I am getting the work done on the fiberglass halo in the back (the previous owner stated a large tree branch fell and hit it. There is a rather large hole in it.). Then it is off to get new vinyl for it.

The headliner fabric just came right out as nothing was holding it except the trim. The headliner board I ran into some issues with. It was very brittle, and upon removing it from the car, and just ever so slightly flexing it, it ripped on me. My car has the overhead console, and is actually cut out for that. The right side just ripped. And upon moving it today, it fell off. And it has several small rips as well.

So when I go to have the interior done, I need to know this as I am considering just taking it and having it professionally redone:

Do they typically just replace the entire headliner board? Or do they just clean the existing and reupholster that?

I guess my next question is: If I cannot get the headliner board replaced, how do I go about making the repair on it?
Spats
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler New Yorker 2.5

Re: Headliner / Headliner Board

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:39 am

In my case, they reused the original headliner board and just applied a new cloth to it. Sorry to hear yours broke. I wonder if any cardboard could be used?
Something to think about.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Headliner / Headliner Board

Postby Butch » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:51 am

When I had mine done, they applied a reinforcement material to the orginal board.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Return to Technical Support