89 Reliant Check Engine is on ??????????????

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

89 Reliant Check Engine is on ??????????????

Postby richey50 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:23 am

Ok my dad has been having some problem with his car for the past month or two, first of all the car when you just start driving it and you give it gas it hesitates and shakes, it feels like there is no gas getting in the injector, but we replaced the injector about a year ago and also we just changed the fuel reg. and still the same problem and when the car warms up it stops BUT the Check Engine light comes on and stay's on until you turn off the car.
So I need you guys help again, I want to make this car run real good for my dad, he loves his car and I got him new car and he never drove it :D

Thank you
richey50

Car Information: 1989 Plymouth Reliant

Re: 89 Reliant Check Engine is on ??????????????

Postby 88 aries » Mon May 12, 2008 1:41 pm

what code is it throwing out,

to do this you have to Turn the key switch 3 times on and off and then watch the check engine light (1988-1989) or the powerloss light (1984-1987) if the code says 55 its all good, for example im going to use code 14 which means the map sensor has gone bad.

hope this helps
88 aries

Re: 89 Reliant Check Engine is on ??????????????

Postby TomChrysler » Thu May 15, 2008 10:54 am

Hi Richey!

I had a similar problem when I first purchased my 86 Town and Country. Here a couple of possible causes. I actually had both.
1- You may have a cracked vacuum hose(s). Check around the air cleaner and throttle body.
2- The Oxygen Sensor has probably gone weak or died (these generally have to be replaced every 30K).

Does it hesitate and shake only when cold? If either of these two causes are involved, the fuel mixture will become rich at cold temperatures (and maybe even produce a little black smoke). Then it will level out once the engine is a operating temperature.

Again, these are simple fixes. However, the Oxygen Sensor is in back of the engine, and a little hard to get to. Let me know how this turns out.

Giving you my best,

Tom

richey50 wrote:Ok my dad has been having some problem with his car for the past month or two, first of all the car when you just start driving it and you give it gas it hesitates and shakes, it feels like there is no gas getting in the injector, but we replaced the injector about a year ago and also we just changed the fuel reg. and still the same problem and when the car warms up it stops BUT the Check Engine light comes on and stay's on until you turn off the car.
So I need you guys help again, I want to make this car run real good for my dad, he loves his car and I got him new car and he never drove it :D

Thank you
TomChrysler
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler Town and Country

Return to Technical Support