Exhaust Diameter

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Re: Exhaust Diameter

Postby jt1911 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:43 am

Yeah,I reckon that's the other side of the coin.You know I live maybe 30 minutes down I 75 from a big Summit Racing Showroom.I've been there probably twice and it was cool.But the downside is,they have maybe 8-9 things that fit my car.They have these real cool wheels from Cragar called V% or Mod 365 that come in silver or black.I'm not a chome fan so I really dig black wheels.But of course,you can't get them in the K car bolt pattern.I know I can use Neon or PT wheels,but they all suck.Big tuner style wheels aint the direction I'm goin'. Hell,I'd rather have the old Mopar Rally style with the beauty rings.But then,wheels is just one issue of many.I know I don't need to tell you.
You're right.Mustang and Camaro guys don't get it.Hell,I just want a cool coupe with a muffler that goes" baa da da da daah" when you let off the gas.See,that's my thing.I dig in line motors.I would love to have a Dart with a modded slant motor.Or a 65 Falcon with same.Small block Chevys just put me to sleep.I guess I just always went for the overlooked stuff.Man,this is a long way from discussin' exhaust pipe.
jt1911

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries

Postby 88 aries » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:29 pm

Do all 2.5's have a resonator, because my 86 Reliant has no resonator, and it has a good note at idle and it humms when you go down the road
88 aries

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:14 pm

I remember back in the day,people trying to get out of it as cheap as possible,if the car came with a resonator,they would ask if its available WITHOUT it.Figuring its cheaper that way (which it was).Never knew though if it made that much of a difference.I believe resonators dont actually muffle more,they just pick out certain resonant sounds and try to eliminate them.Usually you only see them on upscale/luxury models....Like Valiant Brougham,but not base Valiant.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby jt1911 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:07 am

Yeah,I know what you mean.It used to be one of those things that would be a mystery charge on the window sticker that made folks feel better about payin' a thousand bucks more for the same car.
I remember in the 80s Monza tips were popular.They were referred to as resonators.You remember they were what you'd see stickin, out the back of an Alfa or a Maserati.They looked good and sounded good.But I guess it's all in the application.They were great on my 73 Beetle! They really weren't a muffler.More of a canister with two chrome angled tips coming off of it.I just don't know if that's the sound I want for my Aries though.As mentioned before,my concern is NOT soundin' like an import tuner car.
jt1911

Postby foamermetal » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:10 pm

I look at the whole new school parts guy thing as a teaching experience. My son had to warm up to the K car and then learned that the 2.6 was a Hemi. He then started reading about the diffrent head designs and engines in general. While at Advance Auto we were looking up something for the Lebaron and the parts guy asked what size Engine. My sixteen year old spoke up and said "2.6 Its a Hemi". Parts guy just laughed. He then started telling the guy about the Hemi badging that Chrysler put on the fenders of the K cars in 81 that had the 2.6. I was kind of proud.
foamermetal
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 lebaron medallion mark cross convertible

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:47 am

Now you can advance him to the next stage...
its not only the "2.6 HEMI",
but its also a "silent shaft" engine with the "MCA Jet" system.
And the ungodly Mikuni carburetor.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:56 am

A humorous story of the 2.6....
A Chrysler zone rep had a 1984 LeBaron sedan as his company car.
It was the 2.6 Mitsu,and he was flat out finished with its rough idle,surging,near stalling...so he orders a then-new 1985 LeBaron sedan (loaded).
It arrives,with you guessed it...the 2.6 Mitsu engine.
The dealership runs it thru the mill to assure a good runner.
Well,on the scope it goes,and there everyone is standing around....watching the SUN analyzer RPM needle go up and down,up and down.Everyone collectively says "S*it!" He's gonna be PO'd!!
I dont know how it worked out,and how the guy took it,but I remember commenting that the dumba*s should have ordered the turbo 2.2 instead.
So,even a zone rep wasnt the smartest guy on the hill.If an engine has issues that cant be fixed,you dont come back for more of the same.
If I remember correctly,this LeBaron had the weirdest 2-tone combination I have ever seen.Plus it had the heavily padded vinyl roof and those heavily/overstuffed velour split bench seats.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby jt1911 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:17 am

Man,it's good to know there's at least one other Southern member in middle Ga.
jt1911

Postby Hemi-Dude » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:16 am

88AriesLEwagon wrote:A humorous story of the 2.6....
A Chrysler zone rep had a 1984 LeBaron sedan as his company car.
It was the 2.6 Mitsu,and he was flat out finished with its rough idle,surging,near stalling...so he orders a then-new 1985 LeBaron sedan (loaded).
It arrives,with you guessed it...the 2.6 Mitsu engine.
The dealership runs it thru the mill to assure a good runner.
Well,on the scope it goes,and there everyone is standing around....watching the SUN analyzer RPM needle go up and down,up and down.Everyone collectively says "S*it!" He's gonna be PO'd!!
I dont know how it worked out,and how the guy took it,but I remember commenting that the dumba*s should have ordered the turbo 2.2 instead.
So,even a zone rep wasnt the smartest guy on the hill.If an engine has issues that cant be fixed,you dont come back for more of the same.
If I remember correctly,this LeBaron had the weirdest 2-tone combination I have ever seen.Plus it had the heavily padded vinyl roof and those heavily/overstuffed velour split bench seats.

Since I worked at Chrysler dealership until 1988, I can tell you all that fixing the 2.6L to run properly was not a problem once the causes for stalling and surging were discovered. I have done many many Mikuni carbs and the trick is to treat them properly. Anyone wanting to know what to do, contact me.
Hemi-Dude

Previous

Return to Technical Support