No Spark Advance on an 84 2.2L Calif car

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

No Spark Advance on an 84 2.2L Calif car

Postby tomcon1 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:41 pm

Spark timing advances only 4 degrees (from 10 deg BTDC at idle) with or without vacuum plugged into the computer. This is an 84 Aries California car, last year with a 2bbl carb. So it has ECS, Electronic Spark Advance, which I assume is controlled by the computer on the air cleaner. That computer also controls the EGR valve and idle enrichment. (The car also has AIS, CBVV, ECS, FTR, HADV, HIAS, OS (Oxygen Sensor), PCV, and TWC (Three-way catalyst).) Egad.

Whether this is relevant, a two-prong electical connector comes from the head between #1 and #2 cylinders, but is not currently (sorry) connected to anything, nor does a mate appear anywhere closeby. The TEMP gauge does not register. The fan does not come on. But my primary concern is getting vacuum and centrifugal spark advance operative.

So my question is this: Is the computer dead? If so, can it be repaired, and how, or by whom? What manual covers that?Do the dangling electrical connections have anything to do with this fault, e.g. providing some input to the computer?

The car is stock, with 46,000 original miles, professionally maintained. Used by a little old lady to go to church and the liquor store. It now makes about 50-55 HP and gets 19 mpg. Any experienced ideas will be welcome. Tom Condran
tomcon1

Car Information: 1984 Dodge Aries SE Coupe

Re: No Spark Advance on an 84 2.2L Calif car

Postby 88 aries » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:19 am

2 things here

#1 the holley 2 BBl carb was used on K-cars until 1985
#2 not 50-55 HP Try more like 96 Hp@5200 RPM

IF you are wondering how to set the timing. Just undo the vacume line on the computer, the computer is mounted next to the left front fender, once you have done that. if you can find the timing mark. shut the car off, and mark it with some whiteout ( makes things easier) for the timing you will want to turn the dial underneith the distributor.

I hope this info works, if anymore questions please feel free to PM me, i own 3 K-cars i have been around them my whole life, i know backwards and forwards
88 aries

Return to Technical Support