clogged fuel line?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

clogged fuel line?

Postby MoparDan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 pm

went see a freind a few towns over the other day and the Dodger was acting weird on the highway every couple of miles or so engine would get weak (like its running out of gas) for about a second or two then go back to normal. my brother's freind (who does all the work on his Jetta and Chevy trunk himself) said one of the fuel line might be clogged or the fuel filter is bad, I replace the that (the fuel filter) back in October so I don't think its that. It did sit with almost no gas for close to a month recently so mabey it just need some fuel injection cleaner or somthing stronger? any ideas?
MoparDan
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge 600

Re: clogged fuel line?

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 am

I am NOT a mechanic, but, condensation (water) might have set up in your tank. Put a bottle of "HEET" in your tank and let it run thru.
If problem persists, even though you just changed the fuel filter, you did mention you let it sit for almost a month without any gas, so possibly when you did drive it,a dn you did put gas in it, the fuel pump pulled dirt and debris up and thru your fuel filter.

If that doesn't take care of it, have your fuel pressue checked out, you may be experiencing the beginnings of a dying fuel pump, but, usually you notice it when first starting the car, because it will crank and crank and crank and nothing.

As always start with the cheapest first "HEET", then work your way up, unless of course you have a pretty good idea what it is.
Also, did you check for "codes" ?? Might be a cracked distr. cap or rotor or your plugs/plug wires. Or one of the sensors.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby 88 aries » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:44 am

my 1996 corsica 3100 V6 (AKA the beast) has the same problem it will chug for a couple of seconds sometimes and then it will be fine, i still get 32 MPG
88 aries

Postby MoparDan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Jacks1986Lebaron wrote:I
As always start with the cheapest first "HEET", then work your way up, unless of course you have a pretty good idea what it is.
Also, did you check for "codes" ?? Might be a cracked distr. cap or rotor or your plugs/plug wires. Or one of the sensors.

I did the plugs/wires/cap/rotor back in october and no codes came up though code 51 often comes on for awile and disapeares
MoparDan
Car Fan

Postby bamman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:49 am

Code 51 indicates the oxygen sensor is running lean.

It may be that the oxygen sensor is getting lazy and needs replacing. I know my oxygen sensor on my Omni needs replacing, but doesn't trip a code. It hesitates, kinda just likes yours, and then about a second later the engine roars to life and accelerates normally.

Another thing may be you have low fuel pressure due to maybe a dirty fuel filter, which you replaced so the Oxygen sensor is looking like a likely culprit.
bamman

Car Information: 1990 Dodge Omni, 1991 Dodge Daytona

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:25 am

Ha, lol, my car has codes 31,37,23, and a few others I can't remember. Even replacing the headgasket, replacing some wires, and vacuum hoses didn't solve it. Been driving my possessed Aries like this
for 2 years. Never got it fixed. Concerned at what it would cost to make it right. :mrgreen:
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby bamman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:17 pm

37 is probably the wiring to the transmission. Ironically, I just fixed mine today. Its been loose for months but today I jiggled the connector and the code went away. I don't know, but for me the connector never really stays put, hence triggering the code. FYI, its the connector behind the transmission dip stick.

31 is the EGR solenoid. I've seen these solenoids fail on occasion and it could be that, or it could be a vacuum line to the solenoid being broken.

23, however, is an interesting one. It's the throttle body temperature sensor. Probably loose wiring, but if it is the sensor, it would be the first I've ever heard of one failing. Cheap sensor though.
bamman

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:56 am

My 2.5 Lebaron has been throwing code 23 since I bought it. From what I understand, the sensor is only used at start-up, a totally bad sensor would make the car kinda hard to start and idle until fully warmed up.

I have not experienced that, but my car still throws a code 23.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby bamman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:53 am

It's actually used to determine the temperature of the fuel entering the engine to prevent vapor lock. It's a cheap $11 sensor, wouldn't hurt to change it though.
bamman

Postby MoparDan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:39 pm

codes 23 and 24 come on at random times (though not lately)
MoparDan
Car Fan

Next

Return to Technical Support