Suspension Upgrades

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Suspension Upgrades

Postby Dadhada400 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:15 am

Hi all - I need to do a all around brake job on my '87 Aries 4 door plain Jane. While I'm in there - are there any meaningful/easy/cheap brake/suspension upgrades? Better size wheel and tires? Different shock/struts? Does using the brakes, springs, sway bar etc. from a 600ES or maybe the station wagons or some such "better" car provide better handling/braking - is it a straight forward swap and is it (or anything else) worth doing? THANKS!!!!
Dadhada400

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries K LE

Re: Suspension Upgrades

Postby 88 aries » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:20 am

not worth it at all, the car will be worth more money in the future if they are stock. my Govenment issued 86 Reliant has a blue book price of 4,000 dollars, in 10 years it will double or tripple
88 aries

Postby bamman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:00 pm

-
bamman

Car Information: 1990 Dodge Omni, 1991 Dodge Daytona

Postby Hemi-Dude » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:09 am

Dadhada400 wrote:Hi all - I need to do a all around brake job on my '87 Aries 4 door plain Jane. While I'm in there - are there any meaningful/easy/cheap brake/suspension upgrades? Better size wheel and tires? Different shock/struts? Does using the brakes, springs, sway bar etc. from a 600ES or maybe the station wagons or some such "better" car provide better handling/braking - is it a straight forward swap and is it (or anything else) worth doing? THANKS!!!!

Hey there Dadhada400, I have done many upgrades to my '85 Laser. From installing a 2.5L Turbo Intercooled engine, a Getrag 5 speed, the large vented rotor rear disc brakes from a Daytona IROC and a later model front subframe with the cast control arms and HD sway bar. Does this stuff create a better handling and performing car? You bet it does. Do you want to do this to your '87 Aries, why not, most of these parts were on my '81 Aries. I loved driving that car and love the Laser even more as most people think it's a Daytona Shelby. It takes a lot of work and some $$$$, so be prepared.
Hemi-Dude

Postby bamman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Wow my post seems to have disappeared. Basically brake wise, new rotors and pads from basically any brand will do you good. Rear brake wise, same thing. You might just want to adjust the rear brakes and see if that helps before replacing the drums and or shoes.

Suspension wise, any bigger diameter sway bar that fits will improve performance, just make sure you measure to compare and get the appropriate bushings to match the sway bar. Also for the suspension, there is not much you can do in the "cheap" realm of things. Further more, the sway bar upgrade is a simple swap, just unbolt and move on with life. If upgrading to monroe sensa-trac shocks and struts don't do it for you, there is a bevy of other options that you can do, including Koni shocks and springs if you want to get really performance oriented.

Wheel wise, getting the factory era swiss cheese or pizza rims that are 15" and putting some 205 series tires will do a world of difference in looks and performance.

But for you, I think the best you can do for performance, that is cheap that is, is to get new rotors and pads, adjust the rear brakes, upgrade sway bar from junkyard car with bigger one, buy polyurethane bushings from www.polybushings.com, and upgrading to monroe sensa-trac shocks and struts.
bamman

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby dodgeariesguy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:30 pm

bamman wrote:Wow my post seems to have disappeared.

According to recent logged actions one of the other Mods had erased it, I'm am unaware of reasoning but I will speak to him about it.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby bamman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:16 am

As for the use of poly parts, if you are concerned about the rubber disintegrating, or if that is a problem for you, then go for the poly parts. More shock is transferred but as far as longevity of other parts, nobody has really come up with any conclusive evidence of a catastrophic failure elsewhere in the car.

As far as use on motor mounts, I'd recommend them because the only other competition in the market (Anchor brand) is poorly made. Well let me rephrase that, for some people they have to "soak" it in polyurethane, because if they don't they deform easy. So either "soak" your anchor brand motor mounts, or just simply buy the poly mounts.

As for my post disappearing, if it was deleted, please tell me why.
bamman

Postby 88 aries » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:29 am

sorry we dont give out mod info......
88 aries

Postby bamman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:10 pm

No worries then.

But another thing I'd like to add about aftermarket performance upgrades, I don't think in 10 years they will necessarily affect the resale value.
bamman

Return to Technical Support