Convertible Top Problem

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Convertible Top Problem

Postby ConBaron » Fri May 07, 2010 2:38 am

I have a 1986 Chrysler Lebaron, and just started recently to have more and more problems with my Top coming up once it is put down until yesterday where it wouldn't come up at all and I needed to help it to get until about midpoint, and then it worked the rest of the way.
I was still able to hear the little motor humming, but the top didn't move up.

Any help would be appreciated since I love this car, especially with only 78k miles on it And want to keep it still for quite a while. And especially with this beautiful weather now outside, I sure would like to enjoy the top down again.
Thank you for any help you guys can give me :)
ConBaron

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron Conv. 1986

Re: Convertible Top Problem

Postby RichG » Sun May 09, 2010 12:28 pm

It can really only be one of two things. The hydraulic pump is low on fluid or leaking; not enough initial pressure to push the top up, but enough that once the majority of weight resistance is off the pump. There isn't much weight resistance once you reach midpoint.

A faulty relay at the pump (there are two...one up, one down); not enough voltage, but if you hear the pump engage when you "hit the button" but there's no lift, I'm betting on the first diagnosis. Note, if you're going to fill up the pump, don't make the mistake of taking the center bolt out of the top of the pump, just hold it vertical and remove the filler nut that's offset. Iffen you take out the center bolt, it disassembles the pump from the resivour (sp), leaving a large puddle of hydraulic fluid that eats vinyl. It is also difficult to reseat the seals. I had to have Chrysler reassemble mine, cause every time I tried to put the top up, The seasl would let go, spraying fluid all over the back. A pain to clean up.
1984 Le Baron Convertible 2.2
2002 Ford Taurus
2004 Mazda 3 5-speed
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Postby ConBaron » Fri May 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Hm I see. Thanks for the advice, I'll try to have a look at it this weekend sometime or this coming week once the weather clears up here again. What type of fluid does it take?

Also should the top be down or up when I am checking the fluid level?
ConBaron

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron Conv. 1986

Postby RichG » Sun May 16, 2010 11:48 am

top up, as all the fluid that can be in the circulatory system should be out of the pump.

The fluid is regular transmission fluid, but I can't remember which. I believe Type FA (but I would check with either a NAPA store or call your local Chrysler service dept). Once it's filled it's no maintenance, which is why I cant recall (I did this two years ago....)
1984 Le Baron Convertible 2.2
2002 Ford Taurus
2004 Mazda 3 5-speed
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Return to Technical Support