starter problem?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

starter problem?

Postby rgrand » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:26 pm

I drove my lebaron the other day and parked in a covered parking garage. At the end of the day the car would not start. The lights and radio were working fine but the car did not turnover and there were no clicking sounds. I came back the next day and tried to start it again but the same thing was happening. I put the car in neutral and backed it up a few feet to prepare to get it towed. Just for the heck of it I tried to start it and it turned over and started like there was nothing wrong. It has started right away since that time. It seems like the starter may be going bad but I'd like to hear others opinion. Thanks.

rgrand
rgrand

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Re: starter problem?

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:41 pm

On some cars sometimes there is a problem with a switch (neutral safely switch?) thinking that the car is not in park or neutral and not allowing power to go to the starter. Sometimes just moving the lever and putting it back will get it to work. There is probably also a starter relay which could be the problem. The ignition switch itself could also be bad. The battery terminals could also be dirty and have high resistance. Of cource the starter can be bad. The last starter that failed on me was intermittent, and it would work on some days but not on others - but it usually clicked even when it did not work.

It is best to troublshoot it when it fails with a voltmeter and ammeter, if you have it with you and someone can help you. You can check whether the voltage is being applied to the starter solenoid to activate the starter when you try to crank it. You should also see some indication of the battery voltage dipping when you try to start it. In addition, if you have an induction type ammeter you can see whether or not the starter is actually drawing any current when you try to start it. You can run some measuremnts now to get a baseline.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Hemi-Dude » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:10 pm

rgrand wrote:I drove my lebaron the other day and parked in a covered parking garage. At the end of the day the car would not start. The lights and radio were working fine but the car did not turnover and there were no clicking sounds. I came back the next day and tried to start it again but the same thing was happening. I put the car in neutral and backed it up a few feet to prepare to get it towed. Just for the heck of it I tried to start it and it turned over and started like there was nothing wrong. It has started right away since that time. It seems like the starter may be going bad but I'd like to hear others opinion. Thanks.

rgrand

I have to agree with K-CAR-WAGON on his evaluation of the problem.
For those who may have similar problems with no starters operation but DO HEAR a click each time you turn the key, that would likely be a problem with the starter solenoid which could be corrected by merely replacing the contacts in the solenoid, if it is a Nippondenso starter.
Go to this site for contacts http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html
Replacement is quite easy to do and can save you a lot of money.
Hemi...
Hemi-Dude

Postby rgrand » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:03 am

Thats all great stuff. Thanks for the info!

rgrand
rgrand

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Return to Technical Support