Rear Springs?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Rear Springs?

Postby Silverbeard » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:48 pm

I am replacing the shocks and struts ( on sale this week) and wondered if anyone had replaced the rear springs which are a little soft when carrying extra in the trunk and/or a couple of passengers, or do the springs just get weaker with age?
Is there a particular spring rate that would make it stronger but not effect the ride or the level of the car. Does anyone know if the wagons had stiffer springs in the rear.
Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. :?: :idea:
Thanks
Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Re: Rear Springs?

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:50 pm

Coil springs wear out over time, and the car tends to sag in the rear. The rear springs on my wagon were replaced once. Changing to a stiffer spring with affect the ride somewhat. In general, putting in stronger springs than the design will raise the car height. My 1983 parts book has alot of different number for rear springs (2dr & Convertible -standard, 2dr&Conv - Heavy duty, 4dr - standard, 4dr heavy duty, wagon - std, wagon -HD). In general Chrysler original parts match the springs to the car application weight and expected load. Aftermarket parts tend to list much fewer variations with a few original part numbers mapping to the same aftermarket number. The Chrysler book also lists a different part for the regular rear axle than for a car with a special heavy duty package. I am not sure what the difference is. I am not sure whether you need the heady duty axle to put in heavy duty springs. Maybe HD springs have a differnt bottom spring circumference? Or maybe it is something else that has nothing to do with the springs. A Chrysler dealer mechanic probably knows. Or a local shop that specializes in springs and suspension (non-chain store) could probably tell you and give you a recommendation.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Silverbeard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:55 am

Thank you, good info on the variations possible. Will see what the supplier has to say and shop around until I find someone that knows what they are talking about before making a change. :roll:
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:48 pm

I checked with my father, who replaced the rear springs on my 83 ReliantWagon a few years ago. He said that he thinks he installed Moog cargo-coil variable rate springs instead of standard original replacement type springs. The 83 Wagon appears to be at correct height with no extra load, and car can take a heavy load without sagging. I am very satisfied with them in the Wagon. However, I read somewhere on the Internet that someone had installed cargo-coil springs on an Oldsmobile sedan and it lifted the car up higher than normal. Maybe someone has put them in a K-car sedan and could tell you the results or a spring shop would know what to expect. Maybe you should consider Cargo-coil springs if you tend to ride alot with passengers in the rear. (See link below)
http://www.federalmogul.com/en/Aftermar ... ilSprings/
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby djvant » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:38 am

First thing I do when I get a K wagon? Cargo Coils. Work Great, rides great, and have lasted 20 years. David
djvant

Car Information: 1988 Aries Wagon,1986 lebaron Convertable,Etc.

Postby Silverbeard » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:03 am

Well finally, the rear springs and shocks are installed. I got variable rate springs that have lifted the rear up a bit, looks odd ( to me after all these years ) at first glance but it actually makes the car level.
I had hoped to get the complete front strut asssembly, no such luck, but all the parts were available and my supplier has them in and wants me to take the old ones in to make sure he has all the right parts and will assemble them for me. Sounds simple enough as long as nothing is rusted too badly for the removal of the old ones. ( Broke one bolt on the rear which doubled the time for the job)

Have not driven it yet, want to wait for the front to be done and the alignment, but it sure feels different to try to bounce the rear end now.
Will continue my saga of the 28 yr. old suspension replacement as it gets done.
Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Postby Silverbeard » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:27 pm

Finally the shocks, struts and springs are replaced and alignment done. The car rides and steers so much better as it was overdue for the treatment and well worth the approx. $700 it cost for the parts and the alignment. :mrgreen: :P :mrgreen: :P :mrgreen:
Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Postby dodgeariesguy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:55 pm

Good to hear, isn't it nice when your car comes out nicer than when it went in :mrgreen:
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Return to Technical Support