Problems Starting 1981 LeBaron

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Re: Problems Starting 1981 LeBaron

Postby Lynn75 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:51 pm

88 aries wrote:Wait a minute are you Talking about a k-car, or the big lebaron based off the grand fury? what makes me say that is because k-cars dont come with a slant 6, only the 2.2 litre 2.6 litre and 2.2/2.5 litre turbos

Mine is the big lebaron, not the small compact K- the big boat looking car.
Lynn75

Car Information: 1981 Lebaron

Postby dodgeariesguy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:18 am

Wait then almost all of the info we've given you is for the small K based LeBaron we still want to help but this is the K-Car club and I'm afraid to say you dont drive a K-Car but still we will help.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:24 am

Welcome to the club! You don't have a K car? That's okay. We are open to all visitors. You know, I almost never see an M bodied 81 LeBaron anymore. Maybe you could send us a pic. I will put you in the "guest" section of the roster. We even have a guest with a Chevy Cavalier.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Lynn75 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:54 pm

89ARIES wrote:Welcome to the club! You don't have a K car? That's okay. We are open to all visitors. You know, I almost never see an M bodied 81 LeBaron anymore. Maybe you could send us a pic. I will put you in the "guest" section of the roster. We even have a guest with a Chevy Cavalier.

Thanks for the welcome, sorry for any confusion thus far. So now knowing exactly my car, does anybody have any helpful advice for the problems my car has been giving me.... thanks
Lynn75

Postby dodgeariesguy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:14 pm

well welcome and yes I did a little research and and the info we gave you still stands well the info i told you and congrats for owning such a classic!
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby Lynn75 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:14 pm

[quote="Silverbeard"]

To test this theory when you have the time, take the cover off the carb, have someone pour or squirt a small amount of gas directly into the carb when you start cranking, if it fires up, than this would be your problem.

/quote]

Well, I tried this theory this weekend and it was a no go. It would not start trying this. So, left my foot off the gas pedal, and it would not turnover for me. The only way it would start, was back to the usual routine of having to pump on the pedal before and while cranking the motor, so until the problem is figured out I have to do what works. I am just nervous not knowing when I go to start it if it will or won't for me- this morning before work was not easy. I guess I better get it back to the mechanic, does anybody have any other suggestions for me??

Thanks
Lynn75

Postby TomChrysler » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:50 am

Hi Lynn!

I've owned several Chrysler products dating back to the 50's, including the Plymouth Valiant (with a Slant 6 like yours). Based on your problem, I would do a few things:
Replaced the fuel pump
Replace the fuel filter
Replace the battery cables.
Have the carburetor checked out by a reliable carburetor shop

The diaphrams get brittle in the fuel pumps over time, and eventually leak (either internally or externally). The filter should always be fresh to keep fuel flowing. You're wondering why I recommended battery cables. I have had big V-8 Chryslers that would be impossible to start, simply because the cables develop corrosive resistance inside of the cables. As a result, the starter would not turn at the quick speed that it is used to. Instead, just a hair less (hardly noticeable), and the car would turn over forever and not start, and eventually drain the battery. The carburetor is probably a victim, so I just recommend having it checked out, and probably left alone. Check the choke specifically, to ensure cold starts.

For giggles, I would recommend replacing the cables first. The least expensive option, and probably your solution.

Giving you my best,

Tom

P.S. I love the 81 LeBaron! I would love to have a Town and Country someday for my collection.
TomChrysler
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler Town and Country

Postby Baron » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:33 pm

I had a 78 LeBaron (which I wish I still had) that had a similar-sounding problem. Turns out the choke was set way too heavy from the factory and the computer had finally given up trying to compensate for it. In the meantime, the plugs would foul about every 10,000 miles, it didn't get that great of gas mileage, and it always ran rather rough. Once we figured out what the problem was and fixed it- had to replace the computer, which is mounted on the side of the air cleaner- ours was still covered under the smog warranty- and also adjusted the choke (The choke was so heavy we actually had to uncrimp the spring from the choke rod (my terminology is probably all wrong),turn it 90 degrees and remount it in the hole in the plate attached to the manifold). This left us with almost no choke on the engine for early morning starts, but the engine ran great,-got 25 mpg at 75 mph with the air on, and the plugs no longer fouled.

Long story short, you may want to check out the choke on the engine, or, perhaps the computer to make sure it hasn't given up, or both. One possible idea, anyway.

Duncan
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby kent_vollans » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:03 pm

Before you go spend a wad of cash, check the timing. . . If the timing goes out, the car could run one minit and crap out on you the next. And its a lot cheaper of a fix then replacing things that might not need replaced.
Let me know how it goes,
Kent
kent_vollans

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant K

Previous

Return to Technical Support