electric fan won't run...

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Re: electric fan won't run...

Postby drchuck » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Thanks!

My car is an '83 400 with a 2.2 engine, a/c, auto.

I know where you speak on the radiator and will check out the fan.

Thanks again

drchuck
drchuck

Car Information: 1983 Dodge 400 Convertible

Postby njr600 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:58 pm

I had my fan go out on me a few years ago. I have a 84 dodge 600 conv 2.2 turbo with ac. My ac is not connected but the mechanic told me that my fan radiator relay had blown out and he put my fan on the AC relay circuit. Havent had any problems with it since 2008. Cuts on and off with no issues. Comes on when it reaches a certain temperature. I would rather it be on all the time like the old muscle cars lol. I already have blown a headgasket and seems like that little motor heats up pretty quickly but the 2.2 is pretty durable and reliable engine. Havent had any major major issues. Think i'm going to get a replacement relay just in case it ever goes back out. Last time i check they had some at the local advance auto. $20.00 dollars. Recently i seen some on ebay motors. Prices vary though.
njr600

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 2.2 Turbo

Postby ARTTY » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi, everyone! ARTTY,here. My fan motor doesn't run, either. Today (or sometime this week) I'm going to install a (fused) toggle switch and simply run the fan manualy as needed. I've never done this before, and I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not. One friend says he did this trick to his PT Cruiser with no problems, while another freind said doing this would break the seventh seal and release the four horsemen of the apocolypse. Would doing this bypass the temp. sensor in the thermostat housing and throw a check engine light? When I unplug the fan switch (temp. sensor) the fan runs all the time, throws the power loss light and the RPM's go way up. Shutting off the motor then trying to re-start it makes the engine VERY hard to start. Plugging the switch back in causes the car to start fine, check engine light goes out but the fan no longer works, again. Please advise before I somehow cause a zombie apocolypse with my '87 Reliant 2.2, auto, EFI. ARTTY. :?:
ARTTY

Car Information: 1987 Plymouth Reliant four door, 2.2 S.F.I.

Postby kcarmom » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi, my daughter's car is having similar problems, not sure if belt went out or water pump froze first, but after replacing, noticed her fan wasn't coming on, her AC hasn't been working this summer and both those are on same fuse (which was okay) so figure related somehow. for now we just ran a switch to fan and keep it so it is on if key is on and off otherwise so she can drive it, but would love to get AC back! are these related somehow and if so how do you test various components?
it is an 84 dodge 600 2.2 L TBI
thanks!
kcarmom

Car Information: Dodge 600 1984 2.2 L TBI

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi, and welcome to the club!

The fan motor should run when the computer calls for the fan due to cooling system temperature and when ever the A/C compressor is running. In your car with the TBI engine both functions are controlled by the logic module under the passenger side kick shield along side just ahead of the door. The computer controls a fan relay mounted on the drivers side strut tower, it's the relay closest to the outer fender.

Your A/c and fan issues may be related but, I tend to think they are likely two separate issues. Here is where a factory service manual is really handy. If you have a voltmeter and think you can track through the wiring, I can suggest some places to start looking.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Previous

Return to Technical Support