electric fan won't run...

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

electric fan won't run...

Postby erickw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:01 pm

fan stopped running on my 84 600 turbo..replace fan motor and regulator on fender well...still won't run..HELP!!!
erickw

Car Information: dodge 600 1984

Re: electric fan won't run...

Postby rare_ram » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:23 am

Does it come on if you disconnect the sender on the themostat housing?
rare_ram
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Lancer ES

Postby erickw » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Gonna try that today...relay was replaced last summer when I replaced the fan the first time..if disconnecting the sender doesn't work I'll try the relay..also I removed the thermostat, would removing the thermostat have anything to do with it?
erickw

Postby erickw » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:37 pm

tried...didn't work...jumped fan straight 2 bat..ran...temp sensor bypassed...gonna try new relay...even tho relay clicks when temp sensor jumped...
erickw

Postby 88 aries » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:55 pm

is it even the correct fan for the car? all Turbo cars had a 5 blade fan while the normal 2.2's had a two blade fan, also you can try this trick, without the car running turn on the a/c this should turn on the fan, my 88 Aries is my only K-car that doesnt do it, my 86 Reliant and my 81 Reliant will do this trick.
88 aries

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:52 pm

It could be the coolant temp sensor, to the right of the side the thermostat housing.

When the coolant reaches a certain temp, it senses the temp and sends single to fan to come on to cool the radiator back down, it cycles on and off like this. If this is bad or not connected well, your fan won't come on.

:::::I think it is called the coolant temp sensor;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Oh HOGWASH!!!!! :oops: I just looked at the type of car you have................ :mrgreen:

I am not sure if the info I just gave is for 84 models with turbo's.........
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby bugs » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:05 am

pardon for replying to the old thread, but I've been having a problem with my coolant sensor and thermostat, the temperature gauge on my dash _was_ always stuck at "Cold" - so me and my stepdad replaced the coolant temp sensor, thermostat, and fan motor and the fan still does not turn on.

He has reason to believe it may be the "electric fan relay" - where would this relay be located on the 88 dodge aries 2.2L?

Thanks in advance!
bugs

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries 2.2L

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:02 am

bugs wrote:pardon for replying to the old thread, but I've been having a problem with my coolant sensor and thermostat, the temperature gauge on my dash _was_ always stuck at "Cold" - so me and my stepdad replaced the coolant temp sensor, thermostat, and fan motor and the fan still does not turn on.

He has reason to believe it may be the "electric fan relay" - where would this relay be located on the 88 dodge aries 2.2L?

Thanks in advance!

Bugs..

Both my K-cars have 2.5L engines, BUT, I would think the relays should be about in the same area of your car.
There are three relays under the hood on the drivers side (behind battery area) ,one is on the drivers side fender,this is the a/c cycling relay,two relays are on the shock mount tower,the one on the left is the starter relay,the one to the right of it is the fan relay! Check the plug going to coolant temperature sensor for spread sockets for fan problems also! GOOD luck!! In fact, wiring as old as ours, sometimes you have to replace the harness as well when replacing sensors and such.
Let us know!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby drchuck » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:47 pm

In reading the replys for the fan motor not working, I have a couple of questions.

I have a 1983 dodge 400 conv. The fan motor does not seem to work.

Where can I get parts? I'm looking at O'Reilly parts and I can't find fans sensors etc.

Also I noticed that the motor housing for the thermostat has, it appears, three sensors. 1 on top, 2 to the side. I'm looking at Haynes manual but no luck.

Need help

drchuck
drchuck

Car Information: 1983 Dodge 400 Convertible

Postby Pete in NH » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:12 pm

When you say the fan motor does not seem to be working, Does it ever come on? Normanlly it will only come on when a certain radiator temperature is reached or if the car has A/C when the A/C compressor is running. Are you saying the fan no longer comes on a point on the temperature gauge where it used to come on?

The three sensors on the thermostat housing are engine temp. sensors for the spark control computer and emission systems. The fan sensor on car should be on the radiator, on the right side radiator tankbetween the two automatic transmission cooler lines if the car is an automatic.

In general parts should be available from NAPA or Rockauto.com. To test the fan motor unplug the two pin connector near the fan motor. Connect the exposed male pin with a piece of wire to the positive battry terminal and with another piece of wire coonect the recessedfemale pin to the neagtive battery terminal for a second or two. If the motor does not run it is bad and needs to be replaced. There are two fan motors available one for A/C equiped cars and one for non A/C cars. If the fan moter does run the problem is in the fan control circuits. Next , for a non A/C car only, reconnect the fan motor and pull the rubber capped connector off the fan sensor on the radiator tank. With the ignition switch in the run position take a short piece of wire are connect it between the two pins on the fan sensor connector. Watch out for the fan blades as the fan motor may start. If it does you'll have to drain the cooling system and replace the fan switch sensor. becareful and don't use too much force taking out the old sensor or putting in the new one, those radiator tanks are not too strong. If your car has A/C you'll have to let us know what engine is in it as the fan control circuits are different. Hope this helps and let us know how you make out.

Be careful not to let the car overheat if the fan is not working. you don't want to loose a head gasket over a non working fan motor
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Next

Return to Technical Support