Car has declined somewhat and needs work now.

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Car has declined somewhat and needs work now.

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Well, my car's idle is completely erratic now and shaking at times. It also randomly hesitates when I accelerate it, but once it warms up or I floor it a couple times, it "shakes" off. Power still seems the same on the freeway. As for new discovery, good or bad, here is what is going on from the tailpipe:

1. When I initally start the car after it sits for a couple hours, it actually idles fairly well, but noticeably gets erratic and rough once the engine is warmed up. It now runs better in wet weather.

2. Odd tailpipe thingy. For the first couple minutes when started after sitting, black soot and gray smoke comes out in a cloud. A small cloud. but very noticeable if its cold or damp. Started having our first colder weather. Once a couple minutes pass, the smoke changes to steam, and clear water gets sprayed on your hand if you hold it directly beneath the tailpipe. Then, it becomes hot moist air coming out, then just dry hot air. No smoke. At this point, no visible blue smoke or anything to indicate the car is on its last legs. Headgasket done a year ago. No oil mixing with coolant. Car is not overheating, YET.

3. Check engine light on the last 3 years. Codes 31, 37 keep recurring each time.

What can I say, this car has never run perfect, but has always run reliably. I guess if the 2.5 engine really can go 300,000 with its nickel content, then I guess the engine is a good engine.

Thoughts?
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Car has declined somewhat and needs work now.

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:17 pm

plugs? plug wires? distributor cap? rotor? air filter? check all vaccum lines, there old and can break or come loose from fitting.

if all this checks out then........it

Sounds to me that it is your TPS (throttle position sensor).

Especially with the eraatic idling and at times hesitaing, the throttle body is sucking in too much fuel, causing your smoke.

AND your CAN have a bad sensor and NOT throw a code.... :mrgreen:
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:29 pm

Strange, the computer threw a code 23 for TPS, then the code stopped appearing when I did the key dance. Also, when we hooked up the $1000 computer to the car, it says the AIS is not functioning properly, and I wonder if my EGR is plugged, and.........UUGGH. Oh yeah, the idle is set improperly right now. When set to factory specs, the car just dies, so it was "adjusted" to keep it running.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:06 am

Code 23 isn't the TPS (throttle Position sensor):

Chrysler Fault Code 23: Air charge temperature sensor out of range

Code 23 is set when the air charge temperature sensor signal is out of range — that is, giving a voltage not expected by the computer programmers. The power limited light will come on and the computer will assume that the temperature from the sensor is 70° F. On turbo models, the air charge sensor is located on the intake manifold. On TBI models (fuel injected, no turbocharger) the sensor is referred to as the throttle body temperature sensor and is located on the throttle body.
Possible Reasons for Chrysler Computer Fault Code 23
Defective Air Charge Temperature Sensor - The sensor should measure 5,290 ohms to 5,610 ohms at 77 degrees for the 1984 model year. For later models, the measurement should be between 9,120 and 10,880 ohms at 77 degrees.
Poor wiring or connection - Read the page ‘How to troubleshoot drivability issues’. Check the wiring and connections between the sensor and the logic module. Check the harness from the sensor to the computer. Inspect every connector. Clean and re-grease the connectors with dielectric grease. When setting ignition timing it may be necessary to disconnect the sensor from the harness.

DRIVEABILITY SYMPTOMS

If the intake air temperature sensor is not reading accurately, the PCM may think the air is warmer or colder than it actually is, causing it to miscalculate the air/fuel mixture. The result may be a lean or rich fuel mixture that causes driveability symptoms such as poor idle quality when cold, stumble on cold acceleration, and surging when the engine is warm.

If the engine computer uses the air temperature sensor input to turn on a cold start injector, and the sensor is not reading accurately, it may prevent the cold start injector from working causing a hard cold start condition.

A faulty air temperature sensor may also affect the operation of the EGR valve is the PCM uses air temperature to determine when the EGR valve opens (on most, it uses the coolant temperature input).

On OBD II application (1996 & newer vehicles), a faulty air temperature sensor may prevent the Evaporative (EVAP) Emissions System Monitor from completing. This can prevent a vehicle from passing a plug-in OBD II test (because all the OBD II monitors must run before it can pass the test). The EVAP monitor will only run when the outside temperature is within a certain range (not too cold and not too hot, as a rule).

A faulty air temperature sensor that is reading warmer than normal will typically cause in a lean fuel condition. This increases the risk of detonation and lean misfire (which hurts fuel economy and increases emissions).

A faulty air temperature sensor that is reading colder than normal will typically cause a rich fuel condition. This wastes fuel and also increases emissions.

Sometimes what appears to be a fuel mixture balance problem

due to a faulty air temperature sensor is actually due to

something else, like an engine vacuum leak or even a restricted catalytic converter! A severe exhaust restriction will reduce intake vacuum and airflow causing the sensor to read hotter than normal (because it is picking up heat from the engine).
Last edited by Jacks1986Lebaron on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:10 am

Chrysler Fault Code 31: Purge Solenoid open or shorted

For model years before 1987, and all L-body (Omni/Horizon) models, a code 31 indicates that the purge canister solenoid circuit is open or shorted.

For models made in model-year 1987 and later which are NOT L-bodies, code 31 is thrown when the purge solenoid/ERG solenoid circuit is open or shorted.

In either case, the power limited light will not be light and the system will not enter limp mode. Code 31 is set when the ECU sees voltages near zero when the solenoid is turned on, or near 12vdc when the solenoid is turned off.
Possible reasons include:
Poor wiring or connection - Read the page ‘How to troubleshoot drivability issues’. Check the wiring and connections from the logic module to the solenoids. Clean and re-grease the connectors with dielectric grease.
Defective solenoid - The solenoids are located in the right, front fender, in a cluster of up to 4 solenoids. If a signal from the harness to the solenoid measures 12vdc when the solenoid is off the solenoid will need to be repaired or replaced. See Solenoids-101 for information about how solenoids work and how to test them..
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby dc8flyer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:26 pm

You have multiple vacuum leaks and if you have an O2 sensor, it most likely has been ruined.

A mechanic can spray nitrogen into your vacuum system to spot the leaks.

Fix those leaks.
dc8flyer

Car Information: 1987 Dodge 600SE 4DR Sedan

Postby 88 aries » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Umm your wrong on that one, are you talking about a 1988 Model year Omni? because the 87's have a carbureator, and there for do not have codes
88 aries

Postby dodgeariesguy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:59 pm

87's could have TBI and thats why its mentioned in the code write up, I saw an 87' Omni at Moparfest this year and his show board read "Original 2.2L Motor w/ Optional Electronic TBI", I'd upload a pic but I'm still getting that stupid board quota, and my photobucket is full.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby 88 aries » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:55 am

really? optional fuel injection? I always thought they were stuck with carbureators. odd
88 aries

Postby dodgeariesguy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:12 am

He could've been lying, he seemed a bit of an odd man, I had also never heard of such things but the car took a prizes in the L-Body class at other show's so IDK.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Next

Return to Technical Support