KISS YOUR K GOODBYE

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Re: KISS YOUR K GOODBYE

Postby MyDodgeDip » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:23 am

If I can call my local parts store and get 90% of the mechanical parts for my 78 Lebaron and even for my old 72 Coronet, We have a while before the K car parts are completely gone. There are still plenty of junkyards that have them for parts. Go to Car-Part.com and check for parts for an 81 aries. There are all sorts of body panels and other parts around, you just need to know where to look. Spend some time, call around and they are out there, they made hundreds of thousands of them. I'm not saying its not a good idea to stock up spare parts, that is always worth it.

As far as repairs go, anyone who is even slightly mechanically inclined can generally diagnose a problem by checking the codes using their key and doing a little research or question asking on the internet. Find an older mechanic and they will generally know what they're doing. I have factory shop manuals for everything I own and then some, they're sitting on the shelf collecting dust. A good mechanic can diagnose problems without it.
MyDodgeDip

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:48 pm

Factory shop manuals are worthwhile getting for the wiring diagrams / torque specifications alone. Also, if you are a "do it yourself" mechanic and don't do alot of work its worthwhile to read before you start a project so you learn the little tricks to dissasembly and don't do unnecessary damage. Saves alot of time and you don't end up breaking things like plastic access panels in the dashboard by forcing the wrong parts.

Mechanical parts and used replacement parts are still no big problem. However, if you are looking for NOS trim parts to make a show quality car, the parts are getting scarcer and the prices have been rising lately.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby nszotovich » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:29 pm

I love the woodys and the clean sides too. The woodys pose a bigger challenge in restoration since 3M is no longer making the Di-Noc for automotive use.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:16 pm

While I appreciate the classic look of the phoney wood panelling,unless the vehicle is a trailer queen or showcar only,I would not sleep well at night knowing the trim could get damaged,or a rust bubble could form under the sheet material.I almost think they went too far with all the trim on LeBarons,while the Aries/Reliant version was much more restrained.
88AriesLEwagon

Previous

Return to Technical Support