89 aries weird intermittent starting problem

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Re: 89 aries weird intermittent starting problem

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:38 am

From Arizona parts,

PART--- DESCRIPTION -----------YEAR--------------------------------QUANTITY--- PRICE
H335FS8 CHARCOAL SUNVISOR CLIP 1987-89---------------------------------29----- 2.50
H618FA3 R SUNVISOR SILVER /MIRROR & MAP LITE 1987-89 K BODY------ 1----- 40.00
H618FC5 R BLUE SUNVISOR /MIRROR,LIGHT 1987-89 K BODY---------------1----- 65.00
H618FE8 R SUNVISOR CORDOVAN /MIRROR & MAP LITE 1987-89 K BODY- 1----- 40.00
H456FA3 CLOTH SUNVISOR,W/O MIRROR SILVER 1987-89 K,E--------------1----- 28.50
H456FE8 CLOTH SUNVISOR,W/O MIRROR CORDOVAN 1987-89 K,E --------2----- 28.50

---------
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby rbvrt » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Thanks for all the replys and the parts list; Awesome!

The k car was running perfect for about a week or so and then one day...an audible hissssss was coming from the egr valve. The plastic ufo that has the vaccuum lines going to it literally just melted/??? The car lost about half of its power and I limped home. I bypassed the egr for now while im wating for my new one to show up....the hissing sound is gone but the car can barely get out of it's own way. All of the power/torque is gone. I can barely keep it going 55mph on the highway. Total bummer. So heres the question....does someone have a vaccuum line pdf or can describe how the vaccuum lines are routed?
I figured I might as well change all of the vaccuum lines to high quality silicone. I really need to get the factory manuals for the car as I have heard from a few of you guys that the haynes manual is not very good. Im going to check out the pcv system too while im in there because that can cause some of the power loss symptoms too.

Im not going to give up on my k car...so far she has got me through one of the worst winters we have had in the north east in a long time.
I just have to figure out whats going on....oh yea... no codes just 12 and 55.

Thanks guys
rbvrt

Car Information: 1989 chrysler aries k (LE)

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:24 am

The vacuum diagram isnt on the hood itself?
88AriesLEwagon

Postby rbvrt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:31 pm

I actually just noticed that today, thx

Huge vacuum leak coming from the faulty egr valve. There is a leak where the piston goes into the valve. New one should be in the morning.
rbvrt

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:03 pm

rbvrt wrote:Thanks for all the replys and the parts list; Awesome!

The k car was running perfect for about a week or so and then one day...an audible hissssss was coming from the egr valve. The plastic ufo that has the vaccuum lines going to it literally just melted/??? The car lost about half of its power and I limped home. I bypassed the egr for now while im wating for my new one to show up....the hissing sound is gone but the car can barely get out of it's own way. All of the power/torque is gone. I can barely keep it going 55mph on the highway. Total bummer. So heres the question....does someone have a vaccuum line pdf or can describe how the vaccuum lines are routed?
I figured I might as well change all of the vaccuum lines to high quality silicone. I really need to get the factory manuals for the car as I have heard from a few of you guys that the haynes manual is not very good. Im going to check out the pcv system too while im in there because that can cause some of the power loss symptoms too.

Im not going to give up on my k car...so far she has got me through one of the worst winters we have had in the north east in a long time.
I just have to figure out whats going on....oh yea... no codes just 12 and 55.

Thanks guys

How ironic.....I just got mine (1988 Aries 2.5L) back today.....the very same thing happened. The plastic "ufo" that has the vaccuum lines going to it literally just melted/cracked causing a huge amount of fault codes/major vacuum leak. Just drove it in from work, and it seems to be running good. The plastic "ufo" thing cost $120, plus all new connectors.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby rbvrt » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Yea the plastic ufo is sold as part of the egr, but dont pay 120.00 for it

go on the bay and get it for 30 bucks brand new, just get the gasket locally.
rbvrt

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:35 pm

One thing I noticed on my car,the OEM EGR valve (still had the sticker on it) referenced over to a Manual transmission EGR over at Standard Motor Products.So,when I replaced it,I got the MT one.But I knew it was right according to Chrysler numbers. Just something to think about...
88AriesLEwagon

Previous

Return to Technical Support