89 aries weird intermittent starting problem

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

89 aries weird intermittent starting problem

Postby rbvrt » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:55 am

Hello, I have searched to no avail...here it goes

I have an 89 aries with only 40,000 miles on it. Just put the car on the road 3 days ago.
It has a strange intermittent starting problem. About 1 in 30 tries the car will fire right up..turn the key to the on position, hear the fuel pump
prime, turn it over and she starts. but lately its been cold and when I turn the key.....no fuel pump sound just (2) clicks from under the hood. I replaced relay
on the fender.....no difference. Car has spark. when it runs it runs like a dream...I just have to get this problem figured out because I took my daily off the road and its just me and the k car.

So, please if there is anybody out there who could point me in the right direction it would be great.
Thank you
rbvrt

Car Information: 1989 chrysler aries k (LE)

Re: 89 aries weird intermittent starting problem

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:42 am

Wow...only "1" in 30 times does it start????

I am NOT a mechanic.

How new is your battery?? How clean are the connections to the battery? Are the cables that run to your battery in good shape? Trace them backward from your battery to their origin and make sure they are secure. It also could be your starter.

I don't think it is your fuel pump, because your car isn't even wanting to turn over when you turn the key to start, all you hear is click, click.

If it was a fuel problem, your engine should crank when you turn the key, but it would not start, but your car won't even crank when you turn the key...so it is a charging problem.....either your battery is weak, or your cables are corroded.

I'll try and find some legit info for you. But it sounds like your battery or cables.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:49 am

Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:55 am

Main index of the above link:

http://www.aa1car.com/library.htm

I keep this in my "favorites" so I can easily refer to it when needed.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby rbvrt » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:50 am

Thanks for the reply,
I should have been more specific. The 1 in thirty thing is that the car cranks over but does not fire. Every time I try to start it, the engine turns over but it will only actually start one out of about thirty times. Battery is a brand new interstate, all connections are good. I just need to figure out the fuel system on these cars. Ive been in the watercooled VW scene for the last 13 years and am used to mass air cars. There are all sorts of new terms that I still need to learn associated with this kind of fuel injection. Usually the fuel pump will prime every time the key is turned to the on position,,,,correct? the car wont start unless I hear the pump. I just have to figure out how to connect the fuel pump/ignition/relay situation.
rbvrt

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:25 pm

Oh... 8)

So the car cranks just fine, its just it will only actually start 1 in 30 times.

On both my K-cars, the moment you turn the key on from the off position, you hear the fuel pump everytime.

If you don't hear the fuel pump everytime, then you have a sluggish fuel pump, possibly getting ready to bite the dust for good.

I had the fuel pump on my 86 Lebaron replaced summer of 2009.

You say it has spark, so you could rule out the ignition coil.

So if you are not hearing the fuel pump whine everytime you turn the key on from the off position, I would say it is your fuel pump.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:34 pm

Have you checked for fault codes???

The key dance, turn the key on (don't crank) and off and on and off total of five times leaving the key in the ON position.

Then watch the center of your instrument panel, should be a small red flash.

For example: flash-flash then a pause, then flash-flash-flash is 23 (throttle body temp. sensor)

At the end of read-out, you will always get a flash/flash/flash/flash/flash--pause--flash/flash/flash/flash/flash =55
Which means end of codes.

It would be worth a try, if you have not done it, it may help narrow the search. But I am betting on the fuel pump being 21 years old.

Let us know what ya find. I gotta go to work, I'll check back later and post what the codes mean or you can peruse thru all of my posts and find it. Just look for Fault Codes.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:42 pm

I agree about the fuel pump being a likely problem. If you don't hear the fuel pump when you try to start and the relay for the fuel pump is ok, it is most likely the electric fuel pump in the tank starting to go bad. (Not unusual.) The one on my 93 Chrysler was intermittent for a while (similar to your description) and then totaly died. Of course you can check the wiring/voltages and make sure you have proper voltage at the pump when you have the problem if its convenient and you can get the failure to repeat. I think changing the pump may requires dropping the tank or at least some disassembly by the rear axle to allow access. (I think it did on my 93).

One other note. In general its not a good idea to let your fuel tank run very low on cars with electric fuel pumps in the tank, as the fuel is also being used to keep the electric motor of the fuel pump cool and prolong its life. Also, change you fuel filter often.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby rbvrt » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks to all who have replied,
Got the car started yesterday morning on the 3rd swing of the key..which is suprising because it was 20 degrees that morning. Drove the car to work, replaced the thermostat, now the heat really kicks :D . I let the car sit in a heated garage while I was doing the t-stat and when I went to restart it ...it fired right up on the first try with nno problem at all. so...you guys are right the fuel pump is getting old and tired. so logical next step is to first check power at the pump when the pump fails to prime, then order a new pump. next question...who is the oem manufacturer of the stock fuel pump? I heard it was walbro but am not sure because bosch also makes a pump for these cars too.
rbvrt

Postby Butch » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:17 am

I just replaced the fuel pump connector on my kids Lebaron for the same problem.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Next

Return to Technical Support