89 aries weird intermittent starting problem

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Re: 89 aries weird intermittent starting problem

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:16 pm

You "could" try changing out the fuel filter, before investing in a fuel pump. It could be clogged up with junk from the gas tank???

But if your not hearing the buzz of the fuel pump each and everytime you turn the key to the on position, then I suspect the fuel pump. Butch pointed out his replacement of the fuel pump connector. Unless I am mistaken, it is located on top of the fuel tank, which means ya have to drop the tank to get to it to replace the connector. It could be just a dirty connector, or lose, or just disenigrated.

Found this for you:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/car_wont_start.htm
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Original pump was made by Bosch.
Also check the Auto Shut Down Relay on the left strut tower.It controls the pump and coil voltage.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby rbvrt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:15 pm

Drove another full day...
I love my K-car!!!!!! Its like driving a couch down the road :D I jacked up the car, saw the fuel pump and its related connections. Just in case I need one, I found a brand new bosch fuel pump with the strainer, angle adapter, clamps, etc for 45 bucks. I also noticed since I replaced my thermostat, that I have a small crack in one of the brass end tanks on my radaitor. I think Im just going to solder it.
rbvrt

Car Information: 1989 chrysler aries k (LE)

Postby rbvrt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:27 am

Update 1/24/11....

I drove the car for the past month with no problem. Its like the problem just went away. The car started on the first try every day, even with a foot of snow on the ground. When one day I went to start it and .....nothing. Just the 2 clicks from the relays under the hood. Since I already had ordered a bosch fuel pump kit for the car, and there was power at the connector, the tank had to come out. Spent an afternoon on my back, swaped the pump, and it runs like a champ. I just want to thank everyone who responded to my distress call with ideas. I tested the original pump while it was out and the thing would barely run. Also, the newer bosch replacement pump looked different and the wire harness that came in the kit had to be cut and soldered to the original wires going to the external connector. I replaced the sock and threw in a new fuel filter to complete the job. All in all it was a pain in the A@# but it was worth it. Im really growing to like my k car.

Thanks again everyone.

RB
rbvrt

Car Information: 1989 chrysler aries k (LE)

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:42 am

Pics, pics, oh please send pics.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:12 pm

I find it interesting that many later model cars are nothing but trouble and the old (22+) cars are being used as daily drivers in their place.
How many here are using their old Chrysler vehicle as their everyday car?

I am currently...
So there's one...
88AriesLEwagon

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:27 pm

I am. I just wish I saw 81Ks around as daily drivers.
89ARIES

Postby nszotovich » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Anyone who uses an 81 car as a daily driver is either poor or belongs in the "Cookie Jar". To grind away at a classic car like it's an appliance is both disrespectful and wasteful. Cars, like humans deserve a nice and easy retirement after thirty years of service. The less early Ks you see on the road, the better. Better for prices and better for preservation.
Reverence, not flogging is the key to saving the K, or any other car.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 pm

I disagree. I would drive even older and more unique cars as daily drivers if I lived in a different region of the country (like southern Ca.) - with no snow/salt and a minimum amount of rain. Most old cars suffer from lack of use. There are enough old cars available for supporting both show qulaity low use cars and daily drivers. Many older cars currenlty used as daily drivers would just end up being scrapped early.

In colder climates - older carb cars can be problematic to use a daily drivers due to warmup issues (choke problems) and that is the main reason why they are not used as daily drivers such climates - in addition to destruction from road salt.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Last month, by a miracle, I found someone driving an 82 Aries Wagon in Watts. The car was sagging in the back, totally sunbeaten, a daily driver, and still alive. It had stuff and more stuff inside it. It looked like a 40 year old car, but was still being driven.
89ARIES

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support