88 Reliant 2.5 questions

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

88 Reliant 2.5 questions

Postby rp23g7 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Hey guys, i have had the Reliant now about 2 weeks and have noticed some odd things happening. Just getting some opinions on them

1. It seems to rev really high when it is warm, and is restarted, like stopping at the gas station etc. Is this the symptom of a dirty throttle body?

2. It idles a little rough, like its missing on a cylinder, but is not down on power or missing when taking off from a stop, would this also be a dirty throttle body, or possibly a bad rotor, Hall Effect sensor.

3. On the subject above, I started the car cold or at least after it had been sitting a few hrs in 40 ish degree weather, it started fine, but then going down the road the engine died. It started again after cranking a bit, then ran if i kept the revs up, then we took off again and it died again, started after cranking, then i went back home without another incedent.

Started it this morning and it ran fine. Took the cap and rotor off, they were kinda ugly, cleaned them and looked at the HES, it was a little dirty, clean it, and put it back together and the car ran fine. Do i need to replace the HES, os is cleaning it ok.

Thanks
rp23g7

Car Information: 1988 Plymouth Reliant Wagon

Re: 88 Reliant 2.5 questions

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:57 am

Cleaning it will get ya by. But, as cheap as the parts are new, I would just replace them.But thats just me... :mrgreen:

Have you checked for fault codes? Just to see if you are throwing any??

My 1988 Dodge Aries w/2.5L engine, just started idling rough first thing in the morning, and the "check engine" light came on, I checked for fault codes and it is throwing a code 15, which is the Vehicle speed sensor/Speed distance sensor.
In fact on the way home from work slowing down to a stop light this afternoon, the car died, but started right up. if it wasn't for the artic temps. right now, I would change it out myself, but.....I am taking it in tomorrow to have it swapped out.

Good Luck with your Reliant!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby rp23g7 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Jacks1986Lebaron wrote:Cleaning it will get ya by. But, as cheap as the parts are new, I would just replace them.But thats just me... :mrgreen:

Have you checked for fault codes? Just to see if you are throwing any??

My 1988 Dodge Aries w/2.5L engine, just started idling rough first thing in the morning, and the "check engine" light came on, I checked for fault codes and it is throwing a code 15, which is the Vehicle speed sensor/Speed distance sensor.
In fact on the way home from work slowing down to a stop light this afternoon, the car died, but started right up. if it wasn't for the artic temps. right now, I would change it out myself, but.....I am taking it in tomorrow to have it swapped out.

Good Luck with your Reliant!

No Codes, or at least the Check Engine light isnt on, i havent checked for codes yet though. What and where is the speed sensor? Nobody has a online underhood schematic/wiring diagram?
rp23g7

Postby 88 aries » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:09 pm

I got one but its for a 1981 2.2 carb, so It wont work
88 aries

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:10 am

Speed sensor is on the transmission.The speedo cable sits on top of it.
A fast idle on warm startup can be a faulty or unplugged TBI temp sensor.
It screws into the TBI unit itself,it points upward on the front of the unit.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:41 am

This site here will tell you exactly what to do to get any fault codes and what they are, and mean:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fault/index.html

Hope it helps....
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby rp23g7 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Jacks1986Lebaron wrote:This site here will tell you exactly what to do to get any fault codes and what they are, and mean:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fault/index.html

Hope it helps....

Thanks Jack, cool site
rp23g7

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:56 pm

Your welcome!! I hope it helps!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Return to Technical Support