Which engine is better for high-miles?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Which engine is better for high-miles?

Postby 1986Kar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Last edited by 1986Kar on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1986Kar

Car Information: 1986 T & C Wgn., 1986 Aries LE, 1988 Aries LE

Re: Which engine is better for high-miles?

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:27 pm

All fuel injected 2.2s and 2.5s engines are not equivalent. Some changes in 1988. More changes in 89. I think the 1989 common block engine is considered the the best. Not sure which of the 89 would last longer. Suspect 2.2l 89 if you don't abuse it.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby RichG » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:19 pm

Please define high miles. If your definition is national average mileage x age, then I'm guessing 250,000 miles or better would constitute average mileage for a well maintained mid 80's vehicle. I'm old school, so I tend to consider the mileage at face value...in the seventies, a car with 80,000 miles was considered high mileage. The incremental advances in tolerances and engineering each year increased the mileage capability (longevity) of most engines annually, regardless of manufacturer. My 84 is approaching 100,000; for this 2.2, I'd consider 120,000 as high miles. Using the first formula, however, that means that the car hasn't averaged 4,200 miles per year, which would be considered low mileage by any standard. And my 89 Acura has 117,000 miles, considered to be remarkably low for an engine demonstrated to last 300,00 miles.
1984 Le Baron Convertible 2.2
2002 Ford Taurus
2004 Mazda 3 5-speed
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Unless it has manual trans overdrive,the high RPM beating the engine will take on the highway limits the usable lifespan.Today its nothing to hear of 200-300K miles before the body falls apart,but the engine is still running.With overdrive cutting 30-40% of top gear RPMs,thats 30-40% less wear and 30-40% longer life.So a 150K mile AT K car is like a 225K mile car nowadays.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby 89ARIES » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:28 am

Mine is 172,000 original miles. It has been through more than its fair share. Poor running, throttle body woes, electrical problems, and two headgaskets. Yet, it doesn't seem to be burning oil yet, but
I do seem to have fresh oil now leaking out around the spark plugs and for the first time, I had to top it off before the 2,000 mile oil change interval. Before the last change, the oil on the dipstick would
remain constant for the first 2,000 miles, than drop appx. 1/4th-1/2 quarter for the last 1000 miles. I do seem to notice some fresh oil around the dipstick. I think I have some new leaks. Also, my gas mileage is back up to 25-28, so maybe it can make 250,000? Also, does poor mileage indicate an engine is wearing out? When an engine starts burning oil, how much time or mileage does it have left? If my Dad's 1987 Toyota Corolla is so reliable at 375,000 miles, why is it on its 3rd engine? Questions, questions, questions.......
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:23 am

Wear=reduced compression ,low compression= less power and lower economy.Worse cold starting too.
As well as increased emissions.
Oil burning or leaks are just a matter of time.Ring wear,blowby,head gasket leaks,rear main seals,valve seals,PCV oil consumption....
It comes with age,and especially lax oil changes.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Wear doesn't necessarily translate to lower MPG. It depends on the type of wear to the engine. As long as your compression is still reasonable and the fuel system is working properly generally your MPG will stay relatively the same. Types of wear such as leaky rings, bad head gasket, poorly sealing valve/valve seat interfaces can result in lower compression and poor MPG. Types of wear such as engine bearing wear and valve guide wear do not typically affect MPG. You can even be using/burning oil and still maintain good MPG if the oil is just being sucked into the combustion chamber through the valve guides during the intake stroke or leaking out gaskets like valve cover gasket or rear main seal gasket.

Frequent oil/filter changes and non-abusive driving habits are best ways to lengthen engine life.

Most times, even on high mileage vehicles, poor mileage indicates that the carb/fuel injector system is not operating properly and is just running too rich. Alot of times poor mileage on old automatic cars can also indicate that the transmission is starting to slip. But your mileage seems pretty good to me for the 2.5l engine. I used to get about 27 MPG on my 92 Acclaim with essentially the same engine throughout its lifetime. It developed oil leaks (rear engine seal?) but MPG always reamined good until scrapped out.

3rd engine on Toyota? All replacement engines are not equal. Depends on what was done on to the 2 rebuilt engines (what was replaced, what new parts were used and what original parts were left in, what was machined, quality of the replacement parts, etc.) and who did the rebuild work on the replacement engines.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby nszotovich » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Very informative post, thanks.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Return to Technical Support