high beam issues

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

high beam issues

Postby duked » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 pm

my high beams don't work i know what the problem is kinda but i need help. from what i think has happened from looking at the bottom of the column theres a rod hanging out of the bottom left of the column from what i understand from looking at a Chrysler midsize Haynes manual (all i got) that rod should go into the switch ( which i have located) but not only to i not know how to get the rod into the switch, i don't know how to get cover off from around the turn signal lever to hook it back up there. ive already got the steering wheel to where i just need to go get a puller, but even if i had it off i wouldn't know what to do next any help would be appreciated.
duked

Car Information: 1986 aries se

Re: high beam issues

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:13 pm

Take out the 2 bolts that hold the column up,it will drop to the seat,and the switch will be exposed readily to remove the 2 screws that hold it on.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby duked » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:20 am

cool was wondering how i would get to the switch bolts. all i need now is to figure out how to either get the trim off the tilt lever or get the trim off from around right behind the wheel so i can get that rod hooked back to the turn signal lever. also need to find why i have so much slop in my steering wheel i can move it 2 inches in either direction. I thought it would be where it mounts to the dash but didn't help alot.
duked

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Slop in the steering wheel is probably bad tie rods but it could be your rack.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Slop could also be a bad u joint at the firewall connection.
The rod end at the lever has to be "felt" back into place.It sits in a little cupped depression.Its a feel you have to experience to know you have located it.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby duked » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:44 pm

uhm its not exactly play like turn the wheel play its like play in my tilt mechanism it doesn't go past the dash. i just can move my wheel left and right and up and down. i read somewhere that there are some torx screws in there i should have to tighten to fix it. thinking this is probably why my high beam switch came apart.
duked

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Old tilt columns can be a pain.Fords seem the worst in that respect.
Lots of extra parts inside and usually by that time,all of them are discontinued.
Maybe keep your eyes peeled for a used column?
88AriesLEwagon

Postby duked » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:01 am

doont think anything is wrong broken wise from what all par said problem is just getting in there.
duked

Postby MyDodgeDip » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:27 am

What year/make/model?
MyDodgeDip

Postby duked » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:29 am

its my 86 dodge aries se
duked

Next