Vinyl seats

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Vinyl seats

Postby embracechange912 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Hey guys, my front vinyl bench seat has been tearing across almost every seam on the drivers side, and it has one seam torn open on the passenger. I've tried sewing it together but the vinyl won't stretch together and it doesnt look good. I was wondering if anyone knows am efficient way to repair these, or where i could even find a new bench seat, its the crimson red one. Thanks!
embracechange912

Car Information: 1984 Plymouth Reliant

Re: Vinyl seats

Postby 88 aries » Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 pm

is it the base bench seat or the SE style? your chances of finding a good bench seat are very low, you might want to switch to cloth they tend to hold up better
88 aries

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu May 26, 2011 4:00 pm

The U-pull it junkyard at this website in Hazletown, Pa is probably about the largest on the east coast. The one in Pennsburg is also very large. Maybe you could find a decent replacement seat at one of those locations. I have not been there for a while so I am not sure what they have currently.

http://www.wegotused.com/
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby nszotovich » Thu May 26, 2011 7:24 pm

If you want to replace the vinyl, an upholstery shop can install a new top piece to your existing seat. they can match your sewing patterns (pleats, etc) of the originals if that's what you want. It will cost you $100-300 depending on how fancy the seat is. Good luck!
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby embracechange912 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:12 pm

i have the base model, i agree that my chance of finding another seat are low, but i will definitely have to check out the place in PA in a month or so, im only in CNY. How would i put in one of the cloth ones, or could i possibly put in a couple bucket seats?
embracechange912

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu May 26, 2011 11:34 pm

I have not changed seats, but I think the vinyl/cloth bench versions (of the same year K-car) are interchangeable and just bolt in with the same mounting footprint. I'm not sure about switching over to bucket seats regarding any mounting differences. I'm also not sure which years or years are interchangeable with your year car. Seats from an Acclaim or Spirit or some other K-car based cars might also fit and might be easier to find in good condition.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby embracechange912 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:20 am

i suppose it will be a matter of measurements and mounting. The only problem is anything other than crimson red would look ridiculous because the whole interior is red, so im hoping i can get a cloth seat. The temperatures are nasty on these vinyl seats!
embracechange912

Postby 88 aries » Fri May 27, 2011 3:49 am

the bucket seats will swap in, just be careful not to break the bar that holds the seat belts togeather, if you break it, someone can tell that your K did not have bucket seats. I kinda like vinyl. especially on blue cars.

one excpetion becides the hot vinyl. It really makes those car Farts more loud :lol:
88 aries

Return to Technical Support