code 13 vacume line

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

code 13 vacume line

Postby rp23g7 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:00 am

Hey guys, my 88 reliant with a 2:5 is receiving a code 13, it ran like garbage pn the way home, I disconnected the battery to start fresh, and got 13 after driving a few miles

It has a real high idle in drive, but runs. I checked the mini mopar site and it states the vacume line may be bad, well yes it is, its not connected to the throttle body, but for the life of me, I can't see what it attaches to, its shaped like it goes into the side but I can't see any nipple, what does this thing connect to?
rp23g7

Car Information: 1988 Plymouth Reliant Wagon

Re: code 13 vacume line

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:35 am

I went and copied the info for code 13.

Fault Code 13
Synopsis
Description: MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor pneumatic failure: sensor output does not change
Power loss light: On
Limp-in mode: TPS and engine speed used as an indication of manifold pressure

Possible Causes
Broken or disconnected vaccum line - Check the vaccum line leading from the MAP sensor. On '87 and later engines, the sensor is located on the right shock tower and the vaccum line often gets pulled or pushed off. Replace the entire line with a piece of 1/8" I.D. vaccum hose making sure to provide enough slack in the line.

Bad Baro-read solenoid - The barometric read solenoid may not be operating. Try bypassing the solenoid, connecting the MAP sensor directly to the manifold to see if the engine runs better (this may not prevent the code 13, however). If not accompanied by a code 37, you can try to repair or replace the solenoid. See the Understanding Solenoids page for information about how to test and repair solenoids.

Moisture in MAP sensor - If this mostly occurs old cold weather, then you may have water that is freezing inside the sensor. This is a common problem on vehicles that have the sensor located on the logic module. Remove the sensor and bring inside to warm up. Shake any droplets out of the sensor and set it in a warm, dry place for a day or so. Don't try to take the sensor apart because you may destroy it. Check all your vaccum lines because a vaccum leak would be the most likely cause of water entering the system. If your MAP sensor is located on or near the logic module, you may wish to consider moving it under the hood on the right shock tower. All 1987 and later models were set up this way to prevent moisture collection in the MAP sensor.

Pinhole leak in Fuel Pressure Regulator - Occasionally, a small leak will develop in the fuel pressure regulator diaphram that allows fuel to enter the vacuum system. This upsets the response of the vacuum system, triggering this code. Check for the presence of fuel in the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. If fuel is present, replace the regulator.

MAP sensor failure - A bad MAP sensor will usually cause a code 14, so this is not as likely to be the cause of a code 13. But if it comes down to it, replace the MAP sensor which is located on the right shock tower on '87 and later vehicles or in the logic module on previous vehicles. Damage from freezing water can destroy a MAP sensor.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby Pete in NH » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:15 pm

There may be a big decal somewhere under the hood showing vacuum line connections. I'm not sure about a 1988 , my 1984 Aries had one. It may help you with where the unconnected vacuum line goes. If the decal is not there, you'll need a shop manual, it has illustrations for all the vacuum line routing and connections. or perhaps someone with a 1988 manual will chime in.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby rp23g7 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:34 pm

I found it, the line had hardened and broke, i was looking for a bare vacume line connection, it was broken off about 2 inches from the end and hidden under the PCV line. I fixed it, YAY.

Anyone want a K Car, my wife and i bought a matching (almost) pair of Dusters, a 70 and a 73, YAY
rp23g7

Car Information: 1988 Plymouth Reliant Wagon

Return to Technical Support