'86 Chrysler NYer 2.5 - Vac Line Replace & TBI Rebuild Kit

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

'86 Chrysler NYer 2.5 - Vac Line Replace & TBI Rebuild Kit

Postby Spats » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:15 am

Hello all,

About 2 weeks ago my NYer threw a code 24. I got the TPS sensor replaced, but hit another couple problems. I had to take the air cleaner box off because I could not get the old TPS sensor off at first (it was really on there tight).

Got that done, but the one vacuum line on the right of the valve cover to the air cleaner split when I took it off. It appears all the vacuum lines are the original 25 year old ones.

I'm somewhat new to working on engines, learning as I go. I have the vacuum routing diagram, and have located where everything is.

1. What sizes of vacuum lines do I need to buy? The one that broke is 5/8".
2. What lengths of each size do I need to buy? I know you trim them to size, but I just want to clarify.
3. Any new T or other connectors I need to buy?

Next, the throttle body gaskets:
Upon taking the air cleaner box off, the gasket between it and the throttle body was ripped. I am going to buy a rebuild kit. I have the instructions from Allpar and I am going to take the throttle body out and thoroughly clean it and replace everything.
My problem is I cannot find any part numbers on the TBI anywhere (I haven't taken it out of the car yet either) that match what the clerk gave me. I went to Autozone, and there are 2 different kits:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... ing=search

I just need to know which one it is, or what part number the TBI is.

Or if anybody has a better suggestion on what to buy that would be great :)

Spats
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler New Yorker 2.5

Re: '86 Chrysler NYer 2.5 - Vac Line Replace & TBI Rebuild K

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Hi,

On the vacuum lines the best thing to do is take a piece of the old line to the parts store and match up the sizes you need and buy what ever lengths you will need to replace them all. Be careful when removing any plastic T's or couplers as they tend to get very brittle with engine heat and age. They are also difficult to find replacements for although sometimes you can find replacements used for windshield washer systems.
I just went through a TBI rebuild on my 86 Reliant and the Allpar instructions were great. I used a Standard Motor Products kit # 1609 and a new FEL-PRO base gasket, you can get both online From Rock Auto at rockauto.com/. I used NAPA/ CRC throttle body cleaner. You have to be careful with cleaners as you don't want to take the coating off the throttle body castings. All in all the job went smoothly and the cars runs great Use some engine oil on the new O rings when installing the fuel injector as the new O rings are a bit tight, work slowly and carefully and don't force anything into place. I used the FEL-PRO base gasket but the standard kit gasket looked like it would work as well. Some kits supply a base gasket that is too thin.

Good luck and let me know if I can answer any specific questions as you get into your project.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby Spats » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:05 am

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the info. I did end up buying the TBI kit from Rock Auto like you recommended. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet, but it is exactly what I needed.

I also got most of the vacuum lines taken care of, except for 2. And this is where my problem lies...

http://pics.livejournal.com/thespattedbear/pic/00017dac

These 2 lines were attached to the valve cover. The long one was on the far right and attaches to the air cleaner box. It is 11/16". The small L shaped one connects to the PCV valve and is 11/16" on the valve cover, and reduces to what I measured to be 1/2" that connects to the PCV valve.

I am having difficulty locating those parts. They are not rubber, but hard plastic. The problem, that you cannot see in the picture, is both of them split, so they do need replaced.

Are these parts still available, or is there something I can substitute to make this work? I went to a couple auto stores including NAPA and nobody was able to help me.

Thanks,

Mike
Spats
Car Fan

Postby Pete in NH » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:52 pm

HI Mike,

Glad to hear you found the TBI kit helpful. On the two hoses, the PCV Valve to Cyl. Head Cover as Chrysler calls it is P/N 4387306 and the Crankcase Vent to Air Cleaner Hose is P/N 4343477. Arizona Parts at 980-966-6683 lists the Crankcase Vent Hose at $10 but does not list the PCV Valve hose. You might try your local Chrysler Dealer and they may be able to locate one as old stock on the shelf of another dealer with their parts locator program. I doubt Chrysler would still supply these parts but you never know.

Good luck,

Pete
Pete in NH

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Pete in NH wrote:HI Mike,

the PCV Valve to Cyl. Head Cover as Chrysler calls it is P/N 4387306

One online listing says that 4387306 is superceded by 4315704 which seems to be still available from Chrysler for about $5. However, it seems a little strange to me as superceded numbers are usually (but not always) higher. I would try to get it from your local dealer. Shipping costs are about $15.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Spats » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:28 pm

Awesome. I just ordered the parts online, so it should be here later this week.

I will keep you posted on it, and thank you both for your help :)
Spats
Car Fan

Postby Spats » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:23 pm

The NYer is back on the road, and running great!

So that was a new Throttle Positioning Sensor, new throttle body rebuild kit (I didn't take it apart yet, due to lack of time ATM, but needed the gasket that sits on top between the TBI and air clenaer), and new vacuum lines including those 2 on the valve cover. Everything else checks out fine.

Thank you for your help :)
Spats
Car Fan

Postby Pete in NH » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:58 pm

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear your New Yorker is back on the road running great. Good luck with your future TBI rebuild, stop by and let us know how it's going.
Pete in NH

Return to Technical Support