What a K-ordeal!

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

What a K-ordeal!

Postby captainmw » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Wow, rough weekend with the "The K." Was on my way home with the wife and kids when all hell broke loose under the hood. The alternator pulley (I think it was the alt) came completely loose and was thrown around in the engine compartment. Must have hit the radiator at some point because I now have a sizable crack in the radiator. So after losing most of the coolant I managed to limp home in short spurts. Had to keep stopping to refill with water, and jump the engine / recharge the battery using the wife's Chevy Celebrity. Got The K back in the car port now but I've got some work ahead. Time to find a new radiator, repair the alternator, replace some belts and do some body work on the underside of the hood from the projectiles. Talk about a bad outing for The K.
captainmw

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant, 1985

Re: What a K-ordeal!

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Ouch!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby MyDodgeDip » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:26 pm

Good news is New Radiators are usually under a hundred dollars.
MyDodgeDip

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi,

The good news is, that radiators are indeed not too expensive, the bad news is, they are all made in China. i just bought one for my 86 Reliant and was unable to find one made in the US or Canada. Every source seemed to show the same radiator, they must all be coming out of the same Chinese factory. That being said, you might as well go for the best price you can find. Rockauto had them for around $65 plus shipping.

Alternator pullies are pressed on and i've never seen one loosen or come off. I'm not sure what let go on your car. The water pump pullies are bolted on so that might be a possibility. If so, its possible the water pump itself let go. The belt that drives the water pump also drives the alternator.

Good luck with the repairs and let us know what you find.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:56 pm

You might try this shop if you want one that is not made in China. They might be able to find one, but I am sure it will cost more.
http://classicfordradiator.com/
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby nszotovich » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:50 pm

Sorry about your ordeal. Hope you up and running soon.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby 88 aries » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:29 am

same thing happened to my professors moms Plymouth horizon many years ago, the alt just fell out of the car....
88 aries

Return to Technical Support