Need TDC on 2.6

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Need TDC on 2.6

Postby mona's k » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:19 pm

I was changing the spark plugs in my '82 Lebaron with the 2.6 and broke one of the spark plugs. The plug twisted itself apart so I have the porcelain, the central electrode, and the metal hex part out. Left in the engine is the threaded base and bottom electrode. There is a pencil size hole where the bottom of the spark plug went through and that I can see into the cylinder. I would like to get this cylinder up to TDC so if anything falls in a magnet can reach it while I try to remove it. I want to avoid bumping it over with the starter as I have parts of the electrical system removed and do not want to hook the battery up. Could I put a wrench on the cam/water pump belt pulley to turn the engine over? Would it stand the strain?
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Re: Need TDC on 2.6

Postby 88 aries » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:14 am

Yes you can turn the engine over by hand, I have no idea how do on a 2.6 but on a 2.2 one would remove the inner splash guard and put a socket on the crankshaft..
88 aries

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi,

I would also remove the remaining spark plugs so you are not trying to turn the engine against compression in the other cylinders. The engine should turn quite easily then. My factory shop manual for 2.6's show a nut on the crankshaft pulley that you should be able to access like Justin mentions above.

Good luck,
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby Racer Brown » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:23 pm

When you get ALL the plugs out, I would replace them with Champion Platinums# 3405, gap at .40 and put some anti seize on the threads, they should last you for a long, long time!!!!
Racer Brown

Car Information: 82 Chrysler LeBaron Medailion Convert- Mark Cross

Postby mona's k » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks for the quick replies.

The parts guy recommended NGKs so that what I have put in along with anti-seize on the threads.

I will try turning it by hand with the water pump belt pulley and if that doesn't work look for that access panel.

If I get a socket on the crankshaft pulley, does the the engine turn clockwise or counterclockwise?
mona's k

Postby Pete in NH » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi,

I could not find any reference to direction of crankshaft rotation for the 2.6 in the shop manual. Every proceedure that called for rotating the shaft simply said turn the shaft. Only one diagram showed a counter clockwise arrow. It most likely doesn't make a difference as to direction of rotation.

To remove the access panel ( lower splash shield) on the passenger side it's easiest to jack up the car and remove the wheel. By the way the orininal Mopar spark plugs were Champions. Everyone has different ideas as to which spark plugs they prefer.

Again, good luck.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby mona's k » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:34 pm

Found the access plug and took it out. It [i]almost[i]lines up with the nut. Turned the engine over and think I am close to TDC on this cylinder. Been spraying a little Kroil Oil on it every night and will mess with it over the holidays. Bought 2 different type bolt extractors so I will see which one fits best.
mona's k

Postby 88 aries » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:11 pm

NGKS!!!! They are just as crappy as the 2.6 engine... go with either bosch or champion
88 aries

Postby mona's k » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:37 am

WOW!

4 posts and another member is already bashing me (buying the plugs that the parts store employee recommended)and my car.
mona's k

Postby 88 aries » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:06 am

Got nothing against your car...lol Its just that the 2.6 was known for cracking heads, carb issues, oil pump and timing chain issues.. But I would purchase Bosch or Champion I had a set NGK's and they were garbage...
88 aries

Next

Return to Technical Support