Electrical connector- Where does it go?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Electrical connector- Where does it go?

Postby mona's k » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Working on my 1982 Lebaron with the 2.6/Auto putting the car back together after fixing (I hope) the spark plug issue. Was getting ready to put the battery back in to try to start the car and noticed a electrical connector that has no obvious place to connect to that I can see. It is in the same bundle as the positive battery wire and comes out about half way down, under the cruise control, by the wires that go to the radiator fan motor. It is a larger (slightly smaller and flatter that a BIC lighter) plug with 2 female connectors and a rubber tang that sticks out ahead of the connector. It has 2 green wires attached to it. I don't remember unplugging anything like this when removing stuff to work on the water pump. Any idea where this gets plugged in?
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Re: Electrical connector- Where does it go?

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi,

My guess would be possibly the radiator fan switch which is mounted on the driver's side radiator tank about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the tank. It's kind of hard to know for sure without seeing the thing in person. this is where a factory shop manual comes in handy if your working on these cars.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby mona's k » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:02 pm

I see the switch you are talking about--it is round (in fact a previous owner left it unplugged and put a jumper across it, now to figure out why they did that) but the connector that I am trying to hook up is flat.

I do have the service manuals but without knowing where it goes or what it does the only thing I can look for in the diagrams is 2 green wires and a connector so I thought somebody might have it connected on their car to show where it goes.
mona's k

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi,

If the previous owner had a jumper wire across the radiator fan switch it was most likely they wanted the fan to run all the time or the switch was bad and they didn't want to be bothered changing it. I take the radiator fan motor is plugged in and that is not the connector you are asking about. The only other thing i can think of that would be in that area might be an alternate oil pressure sending unit connection my 1984 shop manual shows two possible sending unit connection schemes on a 2.6 . It is shown as a two wire connector with one green wire and a second wire as green with a yellow tracer.

I think this might be what you are talking about on your car. The green wire is for the oil pressure lamp and the green with yellow tracer is for an actual gauge if your car is so equipped.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby mona's k » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:25 pm

I solved my problem!!

In looking through the 1982 service manual trying to figure out the by-passed connector/radiator switch I see there is an "Ambient Temperature Sensing Switch (2.6 Only)" in some of the diagrams and the connector looks like what is unplugged. The next problem is that this sensor is mounted on the fan brace and mine is missing. The unplugged/jumpered radiator switch and missing sensor is probably is why the fan runs all the time when the key is on. Next question, anybody know what the part number for this sensor is, or where to get one? I looked at Rock Auto's web site and they have nothing that looks like it.
mona's k

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:49 pm

Look at the link below and enter 3747999 for the part number (its listed as in stock) and then confirm with the vendor that it exactly matches what you are looking for.

http://www.arizonaparts.com/quicksearchList.asp

or Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-Radia ... 35b5a70d81

or go to a junkyard and pull a couple.

Also 86 parts book lists the same number (3747999) as air temp fan shroud switch and does not designate it as pertaining to the 2.6 motor as in 82. So I suspect you could pull it off an 86 in the junkyard also which should be easier to find.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby mona's k » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:43 am

Thanks for the info.
The end of the plug looks like what mine would plug into.

If it was used on several years I just might wait till spring and hit some salvage yards.
mona's k

Postby MyDodgeDip » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:25 am

I'll have to look, I may have one hanging off one of my cars, I think the fan was swapped on one and recall seeing it on there.
MyDodgeDip

Return to Technical Support