Cruise control not working.

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Cruise control not working.

Postby mona's k » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 am

Have had the '82 Lebaron out a few times with the nice weather this winter and was reminded that the cruise control doesn't work. Any "smoking gun" ideas that I should look for? Any particular problem that these systems are known for having for causing it not to work? Everything appears to be plugged in.
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Re: Cruise control not working.

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:09 pm

There was a recall regarding the speed control. See link below. It might have been intentionally disabled. If you are not really sure if the recall repair was performed on your car, it is probably better not to use it anyway. The recall part might be available from someone like Arizona parts. There are detailed troubleshooting procedures in the factory shop manual regarding the speed control.

http://www.automd.com/recall/campaign_c30569/
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby dc8flyer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:51 pm

I went seven years without a cruise control until I decided I needed it. After searching the web I found a few ideas and started with the most simplest one and it worked.

On the brake pedel is a switch that disconnects the cruise control when the brake is applied. If it gets to close to the brake arm it will continuously turn itself off.

Try going down the road and use your foot to pull the brake pedel up towards you (opposite of applying brake) and try engaging the cruise control. It should work if this switch is the problem. Even if it still fails take a look at it and make sure it isn't too close and making contact.
dc8flyer

Car Information: 1987 Dodge 600SE 4DR Sedan

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:21 pm

Maybe this is the switch dc8flyer is referring to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/81-83-Mopar-Spe ... 44&vxp=mtr

Arizona Parts also has in in stock for about $15.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby mona's k » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Right now the car is up on jack stands as I am replacing the inner fender and checking the brakes and rear wheel bearings. I will give the brake pedal thing a try next time I have it out.
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Postby Dodge Aries K » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:45 am

Check all your vacuum lines and check valves. The cruise control needs them to not be busted to operate. I've had bad vacuum lines on many of my Chrysler's over the years.
Dodge Aries K

Postby wreck-o-matic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:10 am

This is interesting topic. The cruise in my '86 Dodge 600 doesn't work also. I haven't yet checked vacuum lines or brake pedal switch but howabout the multifuction switch? Are these common to fail? I remember that a 1980 Dodge Aspen was already using similar switch. Are these parts still for sale somewhere and no I don't mean NOS parts on ebay or salvage yard parts.
1967 Plymouth VIP, 1979 Mitsubishi Sigma, 1986 Dodge 600 SE, 1995 Chrysler New Yorker. MOPAR COLLECTION
wreck-o-matic

Car Information: 1986 Dodge 600 SE

Return to Technical Support